Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazyTomato:
Please don't say that. I honestly do think that having a "genetic component" to our behavioral difference excuses our culture of any deeper thoughts on this subject of why either gender does what they do. Sure there are physiological differences, but in the end, what really sums us up? It's our background, our beliefs, philosophies, the culture we live in, the society at large, the world, the politics, and so on. That's what drives us more than anything else. Not what we're "wired" to do. I seriously hate that line of thinking the most.

I guess the truth excuses a lot of things, eh? You mean I shouldn't state what scientific studies have alreaedy proven? Nonsense.

I think you under-estimate the underlying genetic differences. This is NOT to say that we, as a species capable of rational (and irrational) thought can't overcome some of that and the cultural conditioning as well.

However, please don't ask me to not say things which are pretty much proven scientific facts (that is that genetic-based gender differences do occur). That's intellectually indefensible.

Jon C:
Could I get you to be the V.P. of Legal Affairs for SDFGW...I have a feeling I will need that real soon...Your salary will be the same as mine....

Same salary as you????? Wow. I’m inclined to say yes! Till I started thinking about what you’re lobbying here for…….more fuel consumption. Do you realize how much of a hassle this job will be? This is heavy-duty level of protection of the firm and of you!!!!!!!! My legal acumen has to be sharper than your business skills. So, who’s more valuable here???????? :D

drbill:
I guess the truth excuses a lot of things, eh? You mean I shouldn't state what scientific studies have alreaedy proven? Nonsense.

I think you under-estimate the underlying genetic differences. This is NOT to say that we, as a species capable of rational (and irrational) thought can't overcome some of that and the cultural conditioning as well.

However, please don't ask me to not say things which are pretty much proven scientific facts (that is that genetic-based gender differences do occur). That's intellectually indefensible.

You’re right. I shouldn’t have said that. You’re free to state your opinions and I’m free to state mine. It was a wrong phase to say indeed. How else will things ever change if people don’t voice their opinions/ideas/hypothesis and do more “scientific studies”!

Not that I’m disagreeing the part about studies, but they’re somewhat preconditioned by the times they’re performed at, and the basis of it. I mean, look at earlier studies of lots of topics that later became set in stone. Until someone else came along and re-did the studies and saw that maybe the original basis or conclusions wasn’t correct. And so on. It’s a never-ending cycle. Not that studies don’t have their validity (I adore them, so that's not the issue). Look, I’m stating this badly. Eh, I’ll think I’ll just break off here before digging a further hole for myself. Anyway, shouldn’t have asked you not to say what you believe in.

crazyTomato:
Same salary as you????? Wow. I’m inclined to say yes! Till I started thinking about what you’re lobbying here for…….more fuel consumption. Do you realize how much of a hassle this job will be? This is heavy-duty level of protection of the firm and of you!!!!!!!! My legal acumen has to be sharper than your business skills. So, who’s more valuable here???????? :D

Your right, cT...you get twice what I am getting.

Try not to think of it as more fossil fuel burning, but "beach-building". You'll sleep easier.

So, now that you are on board, I am sending you a copy of my biz plan to use Harp Seals to power SUV's. Please make sure there are no down side or barriers to entry. I'll forward the report on Spotted Owl buffalo wings when it is done...

Still looking for a Public Relations V.P. Who's game?

Thanks,

Jon

(For those just tuning into this post...we are kidding here and yes, we are about done beating this one...)

almitywife:
i hear you get more bang for your blubber out of whales :wink:

Who died and left you in charge of "Research"? Get back to work!!!! These glaciers aren't going to melt by themselves!!!

Where the h*ll is that donut?!!!

Can't wait for "Bosses Day". I expect many...ah, ...gifts.

:D :D :D

crazytomato:

see my PM!

I think each gender has its strengths and weaknesses.
Men make good divers and women are better at cooking and cleaning.
However I LOVE Tanya Streeter in that silver shiny wet suit.

I am a lady diver with a non-swimming husband. I have always loved the water, but never had the funds to dive until children were on their own. Now I travel to neat places and dive, and he stays home and farms. I wish , with all my heart, he would dive, but he hates water.

Jon C:
Take your choice...

Men dive more because they can:

a) go an hour without shopping.
b) go an hour without talking
c) go an hour without telling someone how to drive
d) go an hour without worrying about make-up
e) go an hour without Oprah

Hey, I didn't asked the question...my flak jacket (and cup) are on. Let the retaliation begin!!!

:popcorn:

Jon C I would like to flame you however I think I am the only woman on the planet who does not fall into any of those catagories unless shopping is in a dive store.

Ok I think I need to hand my female card back in now. :shakehead

In all honesty I am now that single woman on dive boats and it doesnt bother me.
I have been on liveabords to day trips, as the single diver, in different countries and have come across this being a more male dominated sport. Is that a sad thing, I think so as I would like to see more women in the sport to experience what a great as well as rewarding sport diving is.

Hillmorton Scubie:
I think each gender has its strengths and weaknesses.
Men make good divers and women are better at cooking and cleaning.
However I LOVE Tanya Streeter in that silver shiny wet suit.

Out of curiosity did some of your post get cut off? If not, gee on behalf of all women thanks for that vote of confidence. :shakehead :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom