Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon C:
Take your choice...

Men dive more because they can:

a) go an hour without shopping.
b) go an hour without talking
c) go an hour without telling someone how to drive
d) go an hour without worrying about make-up
e) go an hour without Oprah

Hey, I didn't asked the question...my flak jacket (and cup) are on. Let the retaliation begin!!!

:popcorn:

:rofl3: :popcorn:

Jon C:
Take your choice...

Men dive more because they can:

a) go an hour without shopping.
b) go an hour without talking
c) go an hour without telling someone how to drive
d) go an hour without worrying about make-up
e) go an hour without Oprah

Hey, I didn't asked the question...my flak jacket (and cup) are on. Let the retaliation begin!!!

:popcorn:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Isn't Tanya a free diver? See...she's obviously proven she can't go an HOUR without doing those things...she has to surface every few minutes...:wink:. LOL

Cheers,
Austin

You all need to come to Japan where the female divers outnumber the males by a significant margin.

drbill:
I guess the truth excuses a lot of things, eh? You mean I shouldn't state what scientific studies have alreaedy proven? Nonsense.

I think you under-estimate the underlying genetic differences. This is NOT to say that we, as a species capable of rational (and irrational) thought can't overcome some of that and the cultural conditioning as well.

However, please don't ask me to not say things which are pretty much proven scientific facts (that is that genetic-based gender differences do occur). That's intellectually indefensible.

Ok, color me having no life. This is last my response on this thread and after this I’m DONE with it! I felt that I didn’t respond adequately to drbill’s posting, not that this second response will be any better.

It was believed that we were superior to animals because at least we made tools. Then it was discovered that gorillas did make their own tools. So do quite a few other species.

It was believed that we were superior to animals because at least we had our communication system. Than it was discovered that dolphins did communicate and so did whales and many more.

It was believed that we weren’t related to animals. Then we discover how closely we are related genetically wise to quite a few of them.

It was believed that different human races weren’t related at all. Then we discover we barely have any differences in our genomes.

It was believed that some of the deepest places of our oceans that no animals could possibly exist there. Then incredible species of fishes were discovered that had evolved to adapt to their environment.

It was believed that in some of the hottest spots in ocean as well that no animals could exist either. Then it was discovered that animals did live there. We’re talking incredibly high temperatures that we would never survive in. Yet they’re thriving in it.

It was believed that women were nervous fragile creatures that had breakdowns constantly. Remember Victorian ages anyone???? Smelling salts that were so popular???? Women had constant fainting spells, since they had accepted what was expected of them and believed in it.

It was believed that our tongues were divided in zones in tastes, such as sweet, sour, salty and so on. Then it was discovered that it’s not true.

It was believed that ulcers were caused by our stress. Then it was discovered that it’s a bacterial problem.

Many a belief system have been born and shattered. Studies have their places and they’re immensely valuable tools in helping us to understand the world and our relationship with it. It helps us to understand the dynamics of our past and present within a variety of topics that truly have enriched our world. Hopefully also of the future by altering our present and changing how we behave.

Either by overestimating or underestimating studies, I don’t really care. What I care is that whatever studies have shown today or in past, WE should be past it. I want us to be past it. Yes, there are differences. I acknowledge that. What I don’t want is to be used as an excuse to limit us in any way, shape or form. So genetically or physiologically, whatever differences we have between both genders….ultimately it’s US that trumps the cards. We can alter everything on the basis of our beliefs. We believe that we’re the most intelligent animals on this planet since we have a “brain”, “soul” or whatever you want to say……well then, let’s USE it. Let’s change our environment, and the societal and cultural changes that would follow can be for the better.

Then hopefully there’ll be a time where we don’t have to think about topics in males vs. females participation in whatever they want to participate in. Though this will be a long time coming.

Here’s something that I learned in college, and yeah, really lame that I didn’t realize it before then. Progress doesn’t come naturally at all. You have no idea how much this startled me. Then when you think about it, progress for any kind of rights had to be fought for. None of them came passively. It’s kind of depressing when you think about it. Just because the future generations will have better technology, it doesn’t mean that culturally or socially things will be better.

So, not that I’m saying we have to “fight”, but you know, just a simple alteration of our beliefs and passing it down can hopefully the future generations can reap some benefit in their lifetimes. So one can hope.

Anyway, that’s my last .002 psi on this topic and yes, I seriously have no life! :D

Tanya Streeter is a champion free diver, and is gorgeous too.
She has had her own TV shows here in Limey land.
There's also a fairly new Diving series here thats good with Monty Halls called Ocean Adventures. The show is good, but he is not easy on the eye, like Tanya is.

crazyTomato:
Ok, color me having no life. This is last my response on this thread and after this I’m DONE with it! I felt that I didn’t respond adequately to drbill’s posting, not that this second response will be any better.

It was believed that we were superior to animals because at least we made tools. Then it was discovered that gorillas did make their own tools. So do quite a few other species.

It was believed that we were superior to animals because at least we had our communication system. Than it was discovered that dolphins did communicate and so did whales and many more.

It was believed that we weren’t related to animals. Then we discover how closely we are related genetically wise to quite a few of them.

It was believed that different human races weren’t related at all. Then we discover we barely have any differences in our genomes.

It was believed that some of the deepest places of our oceans that no animals could possibly exist there. Then incredible species of fishes were discovered that had evolved to adapt to their environment.

It was believed that in some of the hottest spots in ocean as well that no animals could exist either. Then it was discovered that animals did live there. We’re talking incredibly high temperatures that we would never survive in. Yet they’re thriving in it.

It was believed that women were nervous fragile creatures that had breakdowns constantly. Remember Victorian ages anyone???? Smelling salts that were so popular???? Women had constant fainting spells, since they had accepted what was expected of them and believed in it.

It was believed that our tongues were divided in zones in tastes, such as sweet, sour, salty and so on. Then it was discovered that it’s not true.

It was believed that ulcers were caused by our stress. Then it was discovered that it’s a bacterial problem.

Many a belief system have been born and shattered. Studies have their places and they’re immensely valuable tools in helping us to understand the world and our relationship with it. It helps us to understand the dynamics of our past and present within a variety of topics that truly have enriched our world. Hopefully also of the future by altering our present and changing how we behave.

Either by overestimating or underestimating studies, I don’t really care. What I care is that whatever studies have shown today or in past, WE should be past it. I want us to be past it. Yes, there are differences. I acknowledge that. What I don’t want is to be used as an excuse to limit us in any way, shape or form. So genetically or physiologically, whatever differences we have between both genders….ultimately it’s US that trumps the cards. We can alter everything on the basis of our beliefs. We believe that we’re the most intelligent animals on this planet since we have a “brain”, “soul” or whatever you want to say……well then, let’s USE it. Let’s change our environment, and the societal and cultural changes that would follow can be for the better.

Then hopefully there’ll be a time where we don’t have to think about topics in males vs. females participation in whatever they want to participate in. Though this will be a long time coming.

Here’s something that I learned in college, and yeah, really lame that I didn’t realize it before then. Progress doesn’t come naturally at all. You have no idea how much this startled me. Then when you think about it, progress for any kind of rights had to be fought for. None of them came passively. It’s kind of depressing when you think about it. Just because the future generations will have better technology, it doesn’t mean that culturally or socially things will be better.

So, not that I’m saying we have to “fight”, but you know, just a simple alteration of our beliefs and passing it down can hopefully the future generations can reap some benefit in their lifetimes. So one can hope.

Anyway, that’s my last .002 psi on this topic and yes, I seriously have no life! :D

Don't you DARE make this your last post on this or any other thread!!! We need you here to keep us on our toes. Permission to leave is DENIED!!!!:wink: And just to end the debate, humans differ from animals because we invented "The Clapper". There is no salad here without a crazyTomato. Keep in the game!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom