Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been fortunate to have a number of dive buddies who are great divers, beautiful women AND (darn) attached to non-divers or otherwise unavailable.

Spady:
Jon C, that post is hilarious! You'll definitely get flamed for that :D

Seriously though, It really is a shame that a greater percentage of women seem disinclined to dive. My wife isn't as obsessed with it as I am but she is an awesome diver.

-Spady

Yeah, but people who follow my posts know my heart is in the right place...I just can't help it when someone serves up a softball. I have to swing at it...I'll take the lumps I know are coming!:D

Diving is hard work. It takes a lot of strength just to get in the water! My female co-workers usually decline to try it for the following reasons: Too cold, too many sharks, the gear is too heavy. Maybe men are just too stupid to stay warm, too naive to think something won't kill and eat us. But hey, we can lift a tank!

It's too cold
Their hair gets all nasty from the saltwater
Too much work
Scary/dangerous
Sharks
Look bad in a swimsuit
Don't like to swim
Don't like the taste of saltwater
Don't like water up their nose
Don't like water in their eyes
Don't like to get wet
Ugly clothes you have to wear

They've all been said by wives who tag along with their spouses at the dive shop.

I know lots of female divers! And most are BETTER divers than I will ever be. Now as far as the dating scene in diving, I am not so sure about that one. Most(not all) of the lady divers I know are...ummm....well they have no interest in guys. Which doesnt matter to me since I am happily married. I just want to dive with them because they are better buddies than my usual group!!!

I think the main reason is because the gears are too heavy. More girls are in swimming than boys. My son's classes are usually 80% girl to 20 % boys. It is not the fear of water that keeps them out.

If we started with 20lb tanks (50 liters), more women would be in diving. Instead, the standard is 80 liter, and weighing in nearly 45 lbs filled, plus 8 to 16 lbs of lead, and 20 lbs of gear, most women do not want to manage that weight.

Initially the gear selection is drab... Now more exciting color will attract more women, and effeminate males also, I believe... Now I'll have to shop for my pink gears... :10: :10: :10:

Ok, I'll agree that babies make it tough for a bit. My wife was a bit bummed out when we went to Maui and she had to just snorkel b/c she was pregnant. Also, having a baby at home also makes it tough to get out diving.

I'm not sure I buy the strength argument, especially if we're just talking about recreational diving (AL 80), as opposed to carrying doubles, etc. Although I'm tall, I would (embarassingly) characterize myself as a relative weakling compared to most men and I've never had a problem at all with the usual recreational gear.

Jon, I'm surprised you didn't swing at the second softball I inadvertently served up (i.e. untapped market) :wink:

-Spady

My wife and I learned to dive in drysuits in the Northwest...I quickly bought everything I need to continue, while she contemplates ever going in the Puget Sound again.

She doesn't like the neck seal, the cold, the weight getting ready. She loves diving in tropical water.

I don't mind that I lost my dive buddy because I always end up being the "sherpa". Now I can concentrate on my own skills!

However, I did learn from a great female diver from New Zeland. A real catch too!

In Japan I'd estimate that more women dive than men.

Kim,

That's rather interesting. Is diving marketed differently in Japan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom