Why can't I put rechargeable batteries in my Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdan214:
Hey All,
Just a quick question. What would be the problem with putting rechargeable C batteries in my light rather than disposable ones? If I can then what's the advantage of buying a rechargeable light?

-Dan

One thing no one has said yet is that rechargables tend to self-discharge. You can not keep them in the light for weeks and months so they need to be recharged shortly before each dive day. Not a real problem but a minor hassel. For this reason I use disposable batts in a backup light.

Also many of the rechargable C and D cells on the market are really AA sized cells inside a larger container and lack the power of a real D cell. Just read the lable when you shop. See how many milliamp hours.

I also have been using rechargeables in both my lights. eLED and Q40 Keep them in the fridge when not in use, top them up just before I go diving - so far no problems. I do rotate my backup lights into my strobe so I know they at least worked last time out.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some posts that suggest that NiMH batteries will discharge at nearly explosive rates if the light floods. (I have not attempted to confirm [or disprove] that suggestion.)

I've used rechargeable NiCds and NiMH in my Light Cannon (since the LC was first introduced), and NiMH in my Shockwave eLED. No problems with either light, no noticeable decrease in output. Has caused no problem in the lights.

When I use rehcargeables in my IkeLite PCLite, though, it is slightly dimmer due to the lower voltage.

Glad I found this thread. I just replaced the 8 "C" cells in my Shockwave LED light after the originals went dim, so I'll look at picking up a set of NiMHs for the next go around. I thought I had read that you couldn't use rechargeables, but I didn't know if it was because the light would blow up, or what. Glad to see it's safe! BTW, where can I order some high quality NiMH C-Cells and a charger (preferably one I can take the cells out of the light after a dive, put them on the charger, and leave them there until I'm ready to dive again).

PPS - And why are there no LED canister lights? I want a canister light but not for $500+ for HID

Brian

bdshort:
Glad I found this thread. I just replaced the 8 "C" cells in my Shockwave LED light after the originals went dim, so I'll look at picking up a set of NiMHs for the next go around. I thought I had read that you couldn't use rechargeables, but I didn't know if it was because the light would blow up, or what. Glad to see it's safe! BTW, where can I order some high quality NiMH C-Cells and a charger (preferably one I can take the cells out of the light after a dive, put them on the charger, and leave them there until I'm ready to dive again).

PPS - And why are there no LED canister lights? I want a canister light but not for $500+ for HID

Brian

For NiMHs

Glad to see they do make them... are those prices for just the LED lighthead or does that include a battery pack too? If you have to buy them separately, the price is still the same as a 10w HID...

bdshort:
Glad to see they do make them... are those prices for just the LED lighthead or does that include a battery pack too?
I'm not sure? I would guess you would buy the head seperately from the battery and cannister... Best bet would be to call or email...

Phone: (631)924-0441
info@sarind.com

I believe Greenforce makes an LED head as well...

bdshort:

You want to go here: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/cbatteries.php

The MAHA batteries have the best rep, but I went with the higher-capacity Accupower for less money and have been very happy with them in my HID light canon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom