why did GUE , DIR take so long to adopt sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be entirely honest, I have seen transmitters mounted on 6inch hoses in sidemount. Wasn't a CDG diver though...can't find transmitters in skips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, through extensive training with one of sidemounts pioneers, and a certification card to boot, you might learn a thing or two.

A good diver is always learning........and now I've learned that there is a cave instructor that advocates AI.......something new everyday.

Seriously, through extensive training with one of sidemounts pioneers, and a certification card to boot, you might learn a thing or two.
Lol, and who might that be?
Some guy that told you sidemount is a disaster waiting to happen and AI is great for cave diving?

A good diver is always learning........and now I've learned that there is a cave instructor that advocates AI.......something new everyday.

No more asinine than an instructor who advocates the use of the Z manifold for sidemount :wink:

Anyway, to get back on topic - I don't think GUE is as opposed to sidemount as some people think. At their conference in 2010, they had Steve Bogaerts do a presentation. We talked to him right after it and he mentioned that he felt quite welcome.

Long before 2010 Rick Stanton was giving GUE talks on homemade rebreathers and sidemount...

Rather than Steve Bogartyfarty

Same point. GUE are very receptive to any idea in my experience, and very respectful of others diving styles.

I was on a GUE expedition a few months ago. Why did they want the silly CDG boy there?

Because when it comes to clearing collapsed passages, at depth, installing deco habitats or just any full on grunt work underwater, they knew we were the bods to turn to.

From what I have seen the GUE guys who are really doing the dives don't have a problem with sidemount. Now the scrubs who are just getting into the GUE curriculum or have read about it and thus think they know everything about the GUE philosophy are the ones who bash sidemount. I can see where true sidemount diving doesn't square with the basis of the GUE curriculum of team diving. I am guessing this may be one of the main reasons GUE hasn't come out with an official sidemount program. I know Panos has been diving sidemount a lot.

No single set configuration in sm will be perfect for every dive. This is the beauty of the configuration.
Instead of preaching ONE WAY! why not teach all possibilities to exploit all advantages? Any configuration
should be buddy/team approved based on the dive requirements.
Personally I am still an open water vacation diver with only 55 total dives, but the last 18 were in single tank sm
with a 13cu pony after 3 dives with 2 80s. Was sidemount necessary? YES, the dive objective was enjoyment.
Freedom of movement was so much more natural and relaxing for me.(an old welder)
Oh yea, I was compatible with my team...necklace for me and yellow reg. long hose Velcro clipped on d ring.
Although my spg's weren't long enough to drag like them:wink:

---------- Post added December 27th, 2015 at 05:33 PM ----------

I need to add credit and thanks to Baptiste at Dressel's, Cozumel.
He's a fine teacher and a great guy. Really helped with propulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom