WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stirling:
I've run into a few like that, and I avoid them, too. But in the end, you have to deal with somebody, and the relation between a diver and *some* LDS is basically symbiotic - neither can really get along without the other, and neither can really afford to drive the other one away.

And let's have a reality check here - the LDS owner's desire to take some of our money in exchange for a product is no more reprehensible than the diver's desire to have the product and keep more money in his or her pocket. Neither the diver nor the LDS is necessarily any greedier than the other; it's just a business transaction, and each side has a reason for wanting to get a little more in relation to what they give up.

I will try to buy everything that I can from the LDS that I want to deal with - even when it means asking them to order something for me that I could just as easily order for myself. If they carry a line of products that I don't have on my wish list, I will at least take a serious look at what they do carry and ask myself if I couldn't be happy with the products they carry; I won't buy something that doesn't suit my needs, but I will be as flexible as I can be to support a business that helps me in other ways. There's more to creating and supporting a community of divers than selling gear, and if the LDS I like goes out of business, I may have to go do business with one of those people I don't like.

Let me make myself clear about this:
It has nothing to do with greed, IMHO, but stupidity. I'm a businessman. I went out of my way to give my LDS the opprotunity to have some of my business, however they didn't act professionally. There won't be a second chance. Life is short :wink:

The business world is like the reef. You f'up, and you get eaten. Next!

We know there are many shop owners here. But, please don’t expect and force your customers to change their mind. What you are doing is the service and sales business! Before blaming the customers, you have to create and design your own business model to survive in this tough world. I don’t know how many more times we have to mention about the good example, “Scubatoys.” How did you feel when you lost your potential purchasers (this board members) to Scubatoys? So, are you ready to make the buyers and Scubatoys feel guilty? As you know, it is a tough world. Please let me know if there is somewhere we can survive without the competition. Don’t forget “the world changes over time” and your customers also earn the hard money.

In my recent experiences, one of LDS (in Mid-west) even made me feel a liar because I didn’t buy the product from him. After deciding final gear, I made an offer, but the owner refused it by setting up the price. Yes, he didn’t try any efforts to make a deal. I could buy anything anywhere in his price. So, I bought my whole gear set from other dealer shop (authorized) in my home town (NY) that is about 1000 mile away from my work place. Why? They offered the better deal when I went back home. Last month, I needed to get the warranty service so that I stopped by the LDS (in Mid-West), but they refused the warranty service by asking me to send the product directly to the manufacture. Isn’t it funny that the authorized dealer refused the warranty service even though the manufacture is advertising that their products come with the life time international warranty? After contacting the manufacture’s customer service, I was told that the owner was suspicious that my gear might not come from the authorized dealer. Anyway, I was promised to get the replacement from the manufacture.

I know his payroll employees are in this board though. What a hick the owner is! You don’t buy anything when you are out of state. You shop nothing when you are out of country. So, if your customers didn’t buy the gear from you, did you make him/her feel a liar? I was searching for another gear set for tech diving. Do I feel necessity to buy any gears from that LDS? Give me a break! I know he can make a living without running the scuba shop though.

Pgdive; Like you said, if there is only $50 difference between LDS and online; I definitely go with the LDS. But, in reality, it doesn’t happen that much. Moreover, your argument is based on so many assumptions that you offered. If I can meet the LDS like you, there are no more customers to feel guilty out there J

mrstein:
WHY do Dive Shope"s DO THIS ???????
Mrstein

Because people let them.

First, never ever feel guilty for not purchasing something at an LDS. An LDS that has to use this tactic seems desperate and will eventually fall out of favor with its other customers. Most LDS survive now with training, trips, and equipment sales and support.

The need for LDS remains...where else can one get person to person equipment servicing (yearly regulator maintenance etc.). I would rather get to know the sales and support team at a local LDS than trust some online vendor to send out my regs for servicing.

An LDS is in part a retail outfit and must adhere to good sales and support. Plus, diving equipment sells itself...a good LDS makes good recommendations for all levels....and does not push all kinds of gear on a diver. My LDS keeps up a good 'buddy' atmosphere of fellow divers enjoying diving. I always get a discount at my LDS because they know me...they enjoy my business and they meet my standards.

As a customer...if I feel pushed into something or receive rude sales service...I walk away and I won't come back.

In the end, it is always buyer beware and do your homework...shop around and ask lots and lots of questions.

Just my 02

kidspot:
The LDS can charge more because like 7-11 they are a "convenience" store - you don't have to wait for your merchandise to arrive. That said, when I am looking for a new piece of gear I will frequently take what I found it for online (including shipping) and ask if they can get close to the same price. If they can they get my business ( a few dollars more is fine for the "convenience")

Interesting. I look at it from the point of view that stocking an item ties up a retailer's capital with no guarantee that it will sell and I should pay a premium for the convenience of walking in and walking out with the item.

But ordering in? That's a guaranteed sale with no risk and no capital outlay for the shop. I shouldn't have to pay any more for an item ordered in than I would on-line. That goes for any shop: dive, motorcycle, tools, whatever.

All you folks who expect the LDS to match online pricing, or you walk away will happily drop off empty tanks for filling and your salt-encrusted un-rinsed regs for servicing. When my local guy went under, I had to buy a compressor since I was having to drive 1/2 hour each way to get a fill it got a little tiresome.
You're going to miss your dive store when they are gone.

Inland dive shops have better skills with clients as they have to work hard just to get you to stop thinking about lakes and start thinking about diving. The ocean side ones seem to have it in their mind that they are gods and we must bow to them. And that has hurt the industry huge. I agree we need the dive shops because online air fills gotta take a long time. The problem is the online guys do compete with NO over heard or very little. Plus they do no service just take your coin and that is about it. The dive shop offers service and time to relax and just talk about dives and meet other divers.

But we live by the all mighty dollar and that is the bottom line you know that because you feel guilty because you could have supported your LDS but instead you supported some dude who may not even dive but had cash to buy loads of gear.
Cheers

I feel dive shop guilt but it's for a different reason. When I started diving years ago, I got certified at a local shop. There were 3 or 4 in the area, which is great considering we're hours from the nearest beach, so I shopped around first. When I decided to re-certify recently after a decades absence I went with the same shop.

However, they're now exclusively Scubapro and I just didn't like their equipment. I purchased the class requirements (fins, booties, snorkle, mask) from the teaching shop but after doing research, I went with non-SP equipment. I picked up a BP and harness from a different local shop, along with my regulator.

Now I feel guilty, and dread going back to the shop that taught me when dive season re-opens around here. They were nice people, and I felt like I did something dirty behind their back. The simple solution seems like it would be, just dive with the shop I bought my regulator at but since they use the same places I would feel even MORE like a traitor.

Anyone else ever encountered this or am I being silly?

I don't feel guilty.
I normally give preference to one particular dive shop, but if they don't have what I need or are limited to one brand, then I shop around.
Perfect example, my wife and I decided to replace our wet suits which have about 4 years regular use and are not keeping us warm anymore when we dive in 15C water.
So we decided to replace them with semi-dry models. Since we are no longer so young neither of us are standard manequin shapes.
Well firstly we tried on what our preferred LDS had in stock and although they had a good choice of wetsuits, they were limited in semidry. Being a tropical country not many people invest in semidry suits.
Anyway, after 2 weeks they hadn't obtained anything for us to try so I then started phoning around. At another shop where we are known, they didn't have anything in stock either but told me to come round on the following day. So yesterday morning we went and they had obtained a selection of 3 different brands in various sizes, both Male & Female fittings. There was a big pile on the counter just for us. I couldn't find one to fit me but my wife did and we purchased it immediately. They asked if they should continue looking for other brands for me and I said "yes" but I also told them I had other shops looking around for me. "No problem" they told me, "that just means we'll have to work faster".
I then phoned the other shops and told them what models I had tried and how they fit me. None of them got upset - on the contrary, they all thanked me for the information, and they all promised me other models to try during the coming week.
By their reactions they don't consider I'm wasting their time and they know they're in competition.

One thing I would say to anybody who is in the same boat as Kriterian is that if you like a shop and you anticipate diving with them all season, at least give them the opportunity to get you what your looking for.

Divers fall into many different categories, when it comes to purchases. Some are looking for a shop to give them general recommendation and information, hell some even want the shop to tell them exactly what to buy. While others want to do a ton of research and then reach their own conclusions. It's all good.

We have had a lot of people who have said "Paul, I really want to buy from you because I know you'll give me a fair price and I like the customer service and the activities that your store provides. However I know you guys don't carry brand XX and that's what I have my heart set on.

In this a case I might do a little research and figure out that’s it’s fairly easy for me to open an account with brand X and order the product. Or maybe I can arrange a store swap at a wholesale price with another local store to get you what you’re looking for. Or maybe it’s just not possible and I might have to say "You know what I really can't get you one of those, but thanks for giving us the first shot at your business". As a business owner even in the last scenario, I will probably keep you as a customer. And because as everybody on this board knows you never stop spending money as diver, we preserve the possibility for future sales.

You just have to keep the lines of communication open and then nobody should ever have to feel guilty.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom