Why do some people say this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsdancey:
Because it is more likely to kill you or your buddy than other alternatives.

In the event of an emergency when you need to use the Air2, you are also likely to have a situation where your buoyancy is also compromised. You are likely to need to make a controlled direct ascent to the surface with two divers in close proximity, who cannot be further apart than the length of the hose connecting them. Having the regulator on the same part of your BC as the buoyancy controls is going to cause you problems.
That's a facinating story, but is just silly. We've trained way over 35,000 divers over almost 50 years and have been using the Air-II since it was first released, and nobody has died yet.

I also don't get the "compromised buoyancy" part since nothing bad has happend to the donor except that an OOA diver stopped by for some air. The donor is still neutral, and the OOA diver is still neutral. If they aren't that's a completely seperate problem than what kind of safe second to use.

For most of your other objections:
  • The Air-II is only used while bringing the OOA diver to the surface, so there would be no reason to use the inflator during this process (even though it works just fine while the reg is in use). Once on the surface, the OOA diver has been taught to orally inflate. The donor would hit their power inflator.
  • The BCs that it ships with all come with shoulder (and butt) dumps. Typically the shoulder dump is used, which means it's not necessary to use the dump on the Air-II (even though it also works just fine.
  • There isn't a whole lot going on in this 'area of limited space' you refer to. The donor has a fully functioning reg on a short hose on the left. The OOA diver is breathing off the donor's primary, which is on the donor's right side. The doner is holding on to the OOA diver's BC. This is exactly one thing (an arm) in the 'area of limited space.'
You don't have to use one if you don't want to, but the "you're gonna die!" stuff gets old fast.

Terry

The comments you quoted were not about product quality they are more about gear configuration philosophy. Choosing the philosophy is up to you.

If you're getting an Air II, try Atomic Aquatics' SS1 first. It breathes a LOT better :)

rakkis:
If you're getting an Air II, try Atomic Aquatics' SS1 first. It breathes a LOT better :)

I've heard that a lot.

When I mentioned Air-II, I was referring to the general style of alternate second stage, not that particular product.

Atomic makes kick-***** regs, so I can imagine that their alternate is very nice also.

Terry

try it before you buy it...
put the air2 (generic term) in your mouth (underwater) and breath off of it... i tried it and didn't like it, as another poster stated - you can't turn your head to the right (hose too short) and it barely stayed in my mouth looking straight (i had to keep adjusting/pushing it in). now as others have stated (including my buddy who owns it) " the only time you'll ever use it is in an OOA situation" and that is true- it's just that if i, or my buddy, ever go OOA the last thing i want to think about (or have my buddy think about!) is having to adjust and hold onto my reg. i also want to be able to look around while surfacing in an OOA situation, i want all my attention focused on getting me and my buddy safely to the surface....

Web Monkey:
That's a facinating story, but is just silly. We've trained way over 35,000 divers over almost 50 years and have been using the Air-II since it was first released, and nobody has died yet.

I also don't get the "compromised buoyancy" part since nothing bad has happend to the donor except that an OOA diver stopped by for some air. The donor is still neutral, and the OOA diver is still neutral. If they aren't that's a completely seperate problem than what kind of safe second to use.

For most of your other objections:
  • The Air-II is only used while bringing the OOA diver to the surface, so there would be no reason to use the inflator during this process (even though it works just fine while the reg is in use). Once on the surface, the OOA diver has been taught to orally inflate. The donor would hit their power inflator.
  • The BCs that it ships with all come with shoulder (and butt) dumps. Typically the shoulder dump is used, which means it's not necessary to use the dump on the Air-II (even though it also works just fine.
  • There isn't a whole lot going on in this 'area of limited space' you refer to. The donor has a fully functioning reg on a short hose on the left. The OOA diver is breathing off the donor's primary, which is on the donor's right side. The doner is holding on to the OOA diver's BC. This is exactly one thing (an arm) in the 'area of limited space.'
You don't have to use one if you don't want to, but the "you're gonna die!" stuff gets old fast.

Terry

I agree Terry. Good post.

jon m:
try it before you buy it...
put the air2 (generic term) in your mouth (underwater) and breath off of it... i tried it and didn't like it, as another poster stated - you can't turn your head to the right (hose too short) and it barely stayed in my mouth looking straight (i had to keep adjusting/pushing it in). now as others have stated (including my buddy who owns it) " the only time you'll ever use it is in an OOA situation" and that is true- it's just that if i, or my buddy, ever go OOA the last thing i want to think about (or have my buddy think about!) is having to adjust and hold onto my reg. i also want to be able to look around while surfacing in an OOA situation, i want all my attention focused on getting me and my buddy safely to the surface....

I've used the Air Source from AquaLung and though I'm not sure about Air2, you an easily turn your head with an Air Source.

one of the ideas when you use an AIR2 is that you use a slightly longer inflator hose then, when you are using it, and want to turn your head to the right you can still do it and not breathe water. I have used an AIR2 for something like 16 years and have had a problem with it. Actually I perfer the form factor to most of the power inflators I have used, but thats more just getting used to it than anything I am sure.

I have a ScubaPro AIR-2 purchased new in Dec. 06, so I guess it's the latest model out there. What really suprised me about it is that it breathes just as easy as my S600 2nd stage.. As previously posted, air dumping during an OOA is no trouble (just use the right shoulder dump).

As for the AIR-2 limiting one from turning their head from side to side; the simple fix is to run only the corrugated inflator hose through the BC's velcro strap, don't run the HP inflator hose through it.

rsdancey:
. If some element of the Air2 system fails and freeflows, you're going to have a rush of bubbles right at the same point where you'll need to grip your BC inflator controls -- that rush of bubbles will make the hose whip around and make it hard to grab and control.
Ryan

Good Lord, I think I've heard everything now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom