Why do some people say this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I just love it when people talk about equipment they have never used. Especially when they make statements like, "it's going to kill you".

I'm sorry, maybe I have a weird sense of humor.

As you have seen from other people that have replied, if you decide to use and Air 2 or a similar combination power inflator / Octopus, you will be just fine. Yes, they don't breath as nicely as a standard 2nd stage. So what. You only want it to get you to the surface after giving your primary to your buddy or whomever has an OOA situation. I like mine, I've been diving with it for nearly 19 years. Oh yes, I'm still alive.

rsdancey:
Because it is more likely to kill you or your buddy than other alternatives.
Any of the alternatives are unlikely to kill you.

Some may be more convenient than others ... but what it really boils down to is that every piece of equipment you can possibly buy comes with advantages and drawbacks. The trick is to understand what those are, and decide on your configuration based on what advantages are important to you and what drawbacks you can work with.

Then get out there and practice using the configuration you've chosen. They're all safe ... if used under the conditions in which they're designed to be used, and if you're familiar with how to use them properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rsdancey:
Because it is more likely to kill you or your buddy than other alternatives.

In the event of an emergency when you need to use the Air2, you are also likely to have a situation where your buoyancy is also compromised. You are likely to need to make a controlled direct ascent to the surface with two divers in close proximity, who cannot be further apart than the length of the hose connecting them. Having the regulator on the same part of your BC as the buoyancy controls is going to cause you problems.

Imagine this situation: You're PADI trained, so in the event of an out of air emergency (OOA) you will give your primary reg to your OOA buddy, put your Air2 in your mouth, grab your buddy's BC, and then you'll try to make a controlled ascent. If you've already started open water training, you know how little space there is between you and your buddy when you're in this position; hoses are flopping around, your arms are in the space, you're trying to make room for each other to kick, etc.

What can go wrong?

1) Either you or your buddy may knock the Air2 reg out of your mouth because your BC inflator hose, which you need to have in one hand to control your ascent, is right in the middle of your 'area of limited space' (because the Air2 reg on the end of it is in your mouth). That can turn one OOA into two OOA real fast.

2) You might knock your buddy's reg out of their mouth, because you're gonna have your arm, your inflator hose, and your Air2 all right about mouth level in the 'area of limited space', and the chances that you'll give your buddy an elbow to the face are quite high. For obvious reasons, that's a bad thing.

3) You've combined two safety devices into one unit, which means you've compromised your redundancy. If your BC inflator hose fails, you lose both your BC, and your backup reg. If some element of the Air2 system fails and freeflows, you're going to have a rush of bubbles right at the same point where you'll need to grip your BC inflator controls -- that rush of bubbles will make the hose whip around and make it hard to grab and control.

Most "standard" rigs have a hose for the primary, and a slightly longer hose for the "octopus" or secondary reg. Ideally, in an emergency, the OOA buddy gets the Octo, and you keep breathing your primary. That's better than an Air2 (at least you haven't compromised redundancy, and you can get some distance between your hands & mouth).

There is a third option, which uses a "long hose". Search in the DIR forum for a lot more detail, but the summary is this: You have a long hose (5 to 7 feet) which you wear wrapped around your body to control the hose when in normal use. You also wear a backup regulator on a bungee necklace. In an OOA situation, you donate the long hose to your buddy, and you switch to the necklaced backup. There are manifold advantages to this system -- most notably, you and your buddy will be able to separate by quite some distance after the reg exchange, which allows you to both control your buoyancy without having to hold on to one-another, making the safe ascent following the reg donation much, much safer.

Ryan

Wow. There is a lot of erroneous information here...

I, and my buddy have late model Air2's and both of us thought they breathed better than the rental regs.
The one thing that I did change was to put my primary on a longer hose (42") to help when sharing air, and it routes better now too

rsdancey ...

Man, I'm DIR and proud of it, but I'd never tell somebody that if they use an Air2, they're going to die.

It's a piece of gear I don't like, having had one. It doesn't breathe particularly well, and I found controlling buoyancy and breathing off it at the same time to be difficult. I was, of course, a very new diver at the time. I also don't like sharing air with a 24" hose.

The original poster isn't even a certified DIVER yet, though. There's no way he can wade through the rhetoric and come away with anything very useful. He's got no information basis on which to evaluate which of the posts in this thread are reasonable and useful, and which are not.

To the OP: Go get certified to dive. Learn what you can about a lot of different equipment configurations. Don't let Lamont's ideal OW class, or Ryan's biases influence you unduly. You'll make some decisions about gear, and some of them may be perfect for you for the long run, and others may change over time. It's pretty much all good . . . It's all diving. What really counts is that you know the equipment you have, know how to operate it under normal circumstances and under stress, and that your buddies are on the same page with you about it.

TSandM:
Man, I'm DIR and proud of it, but I'd never tell somebody that if they use an Air2, they're going to die.

It's a piece of gear I don't like, having had one. It doesn't breathe particularly well, and I found controlling buoyancy and breathing off it at the same time to be difficult. I was, of course, a very new diver at the time. I also don't like sharing air with a 24" hose.

The original poster isn't even a certified DIVER yet, though. There's no way he can wade through the rhetoric and come away with anything very useful. He's got no information basis on which to evaluate which of the posts in this thread are reasonable and useful, and which are not.

To the OP: Go get certified to dive. Learn what you can about a lot of different equipment configurations. Don't let Lamont's ideal OW class, or Ryan's biases influence you unduly. You'll make some decisions about gear, and some of them may be perfect for you for the long run, and others may change over time. It's pretty much all good . . . It's all diving. What really counts is that you know the equipment you have, know how to operate it under normal circumstances and under stress, and that your buddies are on the same page with you about it.

Amen Sister!

Another vote for Air 2 for recreational diving.
And yes I have done OOA donor with it.
If you use a radio transmitter integrated computer then you only have 2 hoses which makes kitting up easier and is a lot lighter for travelling.
Also the Air 2 will inflate a BCD a lot more quickly than a conventional inflator.
Also it uses the Scubapro patented inflator valve instead of the nasty shraeder (sp?) that most other BCDs do. This allows you to modulate inflation much more precisely.

Good piece of kit.

As for the OP, he should get some more real world experience under his belt. You don't learn to dive on the interweb and number of posts doesn't give you bragging rights on the diveboat, whatever some on here seem to think.

Actually, the time I really had to use my Air 2 in an OOA situation, I was glad I had a short hose. The guy had completely panicked and was trying to shoot to the surface from about 80 ft. I grabbed him by his BC, calmed him down, and was able to control our ascent. He wasn't even from our boat. I have no clue where he came from, he just grabbed my primary and tried to ascend. I took him to our boat, put him on board and completed my dive.

Let me take one more poke at this dead horse if I may. Should anything bad happen to me before I go DIR; the anti AIR-2 crowd has permission to have my toomb stone engraved "he was killed by an AIR-2":D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom