Why do some people say this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the air2 type devices for lots of reasons but probably the biggest is that I don't think that the method of controling buoyancy during an ascent should be different in an emergency.

The first one of these things I saw was one that a DM of mine had. I asked him if he ever tried actually using it and he said no. I recommendewd that he spend some time practicing with it, which he did. He didn't have any problems at all in practice. Sure enough not too long after we came across an OOA diver and he handled it...right up until he started searching for his inflator (which was in his mouth) with his left hand and the two of them did their imitation of a NASA moon launch.

Not to say that it can't work. That would be silly. However, it's an attempt to simplify a configuration at the expense of complicating an emergency response. It's in our emergency procedures where we really need simplicity and something that's as close to being fool proof as possible.

MikeFerrara:
I don't like the air2 type devices for lots of reasons but probably the biggest is that I don't think that the method of controling buoyancy during an ascent should be different in an emergency.

Why would one use a different method of controlling buoyancy when breathing off the Air 2? There's no reason to add air to your BC because you are ascending. I hope no one is descending with an OOA diver. If you do need to add air, it's easy enough to do so, the inflator button works even when being used as a regulator. As for dumping air, I always use the right shoulder dump. I gave up all my Air 2s years ago, but I still use the right shoulder dump.

Walter:
Why would one use a different method of controlling buoyancy when breathing off the Air 2? There's no reason to add air to your BC because you are ascending. I hope no one is descending with an OOA diver. If you do need to add air, it's easy enough to do so, the inflator button works even when being used as a regulator. As for dumping air, I always use the right shoulder dump. I gave up all my Air 2s years ago, but I still use the right shoulder dump.

The point is that lots of divers use the inflator/deflator to deflate.

I use either the inflator/deflator or the pull dump on the lower left of the wing...no shoulder dumps.

That's an improper use of a BC with an Air 2 attached. The right shoulder dump is superior to dumping with the inflator hose, I don't understand whay anyone would do it the other way. Objecting to the use of an Air 2 because some might use it incorrectly, is like me objecting to the long hose because someone could wrap it around the next several times instead of routing it properly.

Walter:
That's an improper use of a BC with an Air 2 attached.

Right. So I'd opt to leave off the air2.
The right shoulder dump is superior to dumping with the inflator hose, I don't understand whay anyone would do it the other way.
Again, I dump air either by way of the inflator or the lower left pull dump, with my left hand. There is no dump on the right and I don't need one there.
Objecting to the use of an Air 2 because some might use it incorrectly, is like me objecting to the long hose because someone could wrap it around the next several times instead of routing it properly.

The objection is based on the fact that it puts the inflator in the mouth where it then becomes inconvenient to use for it's intended purpose. It introduces this and other considerations for the purpose of what? To get rid of a hose that isn't a problem in the first place?

Sure, you can make it work but why would you want to?

Gotta agree with Watlers last post. The two times that i did have to actually rely on mine i used the right sholder dump. then if i needed to add air i would grab the others bc in my right hand and use my left to add air( we got stuck at 45 feet and couldn't seem to ascend. gave a burst of air to get moving and then dumed it when we were moving up again.). The right sholder dump works so much easier and faster than the hose. After all when do you really need to add air? you are dumping air and ascending. When i got to the surface i had the reg out of my mouth and could add air like any other time. As a matter of fact i only use the right sholder to dump i dont use the inflator hose.

Walter, from what I know of your experience, I'd trust you to bring me up from 150' buddy breathing in zero viz. However I think we can all agree that many divers out there need a fool proof system with as little complications as possible. I don't think the Air2 qualifies as that.

I tend to use my right shoulder dump almost exclusively. But if a diver was using the Air Source or whatever model they choose and wanted to dump air with the inflator hose, why not just remove the regulator from their mouth and dump air? There is also the quick release valve on most recreational BC where they could just pull the hose straigt down, while keeping it in their mouth.

Walter:
Mike, I agree it's not ideal, but it works rather well. I've brought up a bunch of OOA on it divers with no problems.

I think we're in agreement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom