Why do some people say this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba:
...snip... but before you say you are comfortable with an air 2 style of alternate - get with a buddy, give him your regulator and get on an air 2 style alternate and then do an ascent or try to swim 20 yards pretending you are in an overhead environment and needing to share air.

I also prefer two equal quality 2nd stages of a conventional design (one on a long hose). That said, the original poster is just starting his open water certification. Sharing air pretending he is in an overhead environment is irrelevant for him. The rest of your advice I agree is sound.

To the original poster. As others have already said, weigh up the pros and cons of an Air2 or similar inflator/octo combo with a more conventional setup. Try them both out in the pool, and then make a decision on what you want based on what you like and what you feel you might need.
If you think you might progress to wreck diving penetrations or any sort of overhead then I would recommend going with the conventional octo setup (with a good quality 2nd stage as the octo) as this will easily get switched over to a more tech orientated setup should the need arise down the track.

Have fun and enjoy your openwater course, then just keep diving.

friscuba:
A couple of observations...

Overall, I see a lot more air 2s and similar units free flowing on our charters than I see free flowing traditional second stages, yet the traditional setup is far more common than the inflator hose arternates. Makes me wonder.

On recommending one over the other, my only comment is do what you are comfortable with, but before you say you are comfortable with an air 2 style of alternate - get with a buddy, give him your regulator and get on an air 2 style alternate and then do an ascent or try to swim 20 yards pretending you are in an overhead environment and needing to share air. For me, I'll stick with the traditional octo with as long a hose as possible on either/both primary and secondary 2nd stages. I didn't like the air 2, it felt very restrictive in a shared air situation to me. To each his own.
This is a good point ... practicing with an inline regulator isn't just breathing from it underwater. Practicing entails doing shared air controlled ascents with your buddy ... because that's what you'll be doing when you need it.

Unless you've done that, you really don't know what the limitations of the device may be ... or whether you're as prepared for an emergency as you might think.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good points
... both me and my buddy have the same equipment and were trained on it .. and mention this ... just knowing that your going to have stay close to the OOA does not give you any sense as to just what that entails until you've done it ... you need to latch on the the BC strap, and not at arms length ether or you'll be pulling the reg from the OOA diver (that explanes why I went to a longer, 42" hose on my primary) ... and if there is any traversing you need to do before your ascent, one of you (probibly the OOA because your the one in control) is doing it on there back (easiest) although sideways might work, (did not try that)

Welcome to scubaboard.

Thought I might give you a little info without, hopefully,starting a great debate.

What you'll find here at scubaboard is a lot of great information....albeit, info from all sides. The main thing to understand is that you have recreational divers....beginners like you and me and those that just want to dive and have fun....and you have the hardcore divers....those that dive caves, wrecks, go really deep and all the extreme diving stuff. You will learn as you go along with classes and dives afterward, that you set up your gear for what works best for you. What you will learn in OW classes will serve you well as a recreational diver which opens up a lot of really great diving fun. If you want to later persue more technical diving, then your gear configuration will change. But until then, have fun learning to dive and get used to your setup. Thousands of newly certified divers from all the different agencies prove that what is being taught works.

Don't get me wrong....scubaboard is a tremendous site for information, help, support and finding new friends. It's just that you have to take all of the info and apply it to your type of diving.

Good luck in your new adventure and feel free to PM me anytime.

Welcome to scubaboard, you'll find a wealth of information here.

first have to agree with what Super has said.

second a little story
My first bc which i had for 12 years came with an air2 similar system on it form Mares. Dont know what they called it at the time but it was basically the same thing. The owner of the shop explained to me how to use it, he also said go out and practice the thing so many people dont do with a new piece of gear. So my buddy and i went out for a dive and after a few times of him swiiming up and giving the OOA signal it started to be a learned reaction. We did this over several dives. and it became second nature. From passing the reg in your mouth off to putting the air two in your mouth to him grabbing and holding onto your BC with one hand and you his with one and controlling your ascent with the other hands. your free hand should be on your infaltor deflator buttons to easily vent or add air. I now have a octo on my rig and really dont like it. I like not have another hose to deal with. Everyone i knew that dove except my buddy said i would kill myself or someone else in an emergency situation. I am still here and so are a couple people that had equiupment issues uderwater.

DennisW:
Actually, the time I really had to use my Air 2 in an OOA situation, I was glad I had a short hose. The guy had completely panicked and was trying to shoot to the surface from about 80 ft. I grabbed him by his BC, calmed him down, and was able to control our ascent. He wasn't even from our boat. I have no clue where he came from, he just grabbed my primary and tried to ascend. I took him to our boat, put him on board and completed my dive.

Dennis, I agree completely. The one time I was diving with someone that had an OOA emergency I was glad to have hold of him. He was close enough that I could look into his eyes (watch for panic) and have hold of him (human contact may help stop panic). He handled it like a pro. Young kid diving with his mom (not me), I was just an extra buddy. Mom wasn't around to see the kid have a problem, glad I was. I was glad that he had my primary as well, I know that it can easily handle the workload of a diver needing air (and probably breathing hard and fast).

The long hose is great for penetration dives or any dive in which the OOA diver is highly training and unlikey to panic. Otherwise, a firm grip and eye contact are essential.

Put me down as someone with a Scubapro Air2 on a Glide Plus BCD, and I'm not dead yet. I’ve had this setup for a few years and feel good with it; practiced at depth last month in the Keys. It does not breathe as good as my MK25/S600, but that is anticipated. Additionally I get it serviced every year... I think that IS important due to the concern that it is more complex. Apparently, it is important to Scubapro as well as this service interval is required to maintain the warranty.

I’ll admit being tempted by a DIR rig, but have not considered it seriously at his point; I'm happy with my Rec rig.

Bob in CO

When using a long hose, you can stay as close as you feel you need to. A reg hose is NOT designed to be used as a restraint.

Aside from that, all divers should be highly trained and extremely unlikely to panic. I try real hard to not be diving around the other kind unless it's a situation designed to correct those issues (teach) and the conditions are very controled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom