Why do the zippers on women's wetsuits stop at the waist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend the waterproof suits too, longer zippers and easy to get into, even in my 7mm I can be in it and ready in 2 mins. I tried many many brands and makes before but since trying this one I keep going back and buying the same. It is shaped and made for a women's figures and it makes such a difference, I can get one to fit straight from the shop, which is really unusual

See I have the opposite problem. I so far have only managed to fit Mares suits and frankly their suits are CRAP. I have extremely broad shoulders and no boobs really and Mares seems to be the only suits I can even get into. I wish they could figure their zipper issues out though. If I had a dollar for every time a zipper split on my semi dry, broke on my 3mm or just flat out refused to unzip, I'd be rich.

That is strange to me, mind you my two 3mil Mares suits were probably made long before diving was a gleam in your eye. Only manufacture problem I ever experienced was inside thigh seam popping in early wearing. I stitched it back up myself and waited for my thread to deteriorate which never happened.

:chuckle: I thought I was the only one with the "boobs" issue and wetsuits! My butt fits a size 8, my boobs need a size 12 LOL. I compromised with a 10 and get a saggy butt fit. oh well, at least I can breathe! :)

I guess you aren't referring to the advertisements where the young female clad in a wetsuit has the pouty lower lip and her wetsuit is zipped down just enough to make men gape and us real women divers shake our heads in absolute awe that the industry would have to rely on sex appeal to sell their product. I'd rather they used a well renowned female who is well known and respected in our dive world.

Perhaps you should pose your question to the comsumer relations or something of all the wet suit makers. Tell them straight out tht youare going to post thier responces for the public to view and list those that do not reply. They know who makes the suit the women need to squeeze into. Teh responces will have to be in one of a few catagories. Include a list of all the makers that this request is being made to.

1. We can make it but it is a costom suit
2. Statistics show that the majority of women fit well in a mans suit with added boob room.
3. We just dont do that and do not intend to in the future
4. Contact us we can make rack womens suits when requested at no extra cost. The are just not advertized because of demand issues. ( Why advertize for what is not being asked for.)

It will not be long before women will know who will provide the suits they need instead of having to settle for what is on the rack. SB can be a powerfull tool. When you get the results back you can post that of hte 10 manufactures 6 declined to reply 2 dont care and the other2 will occomodate with a phone call.

I had the same boob issue and unfortunately shoulder issue (I spent the 80's removing shoulder pads 'cause I came well equipped in the shoulder department). And my waist is a good 10" narrower than my hips. I ended up with a men's Henderson Hyperstretch (my LDS had one hidden away, lucky me) farmer john and long sleeved shorty. Wicked stretchy material. And apparently nicely form fitting according to some of my dive buddies. :wink:

I don't think Henderson still makes the Hyperstretch material. However their Thermoprene has a nice stretch to it and would be my choice if I didn't already have mine.

A friend of mine just bought an Aqualock and it fits her like the proverbial glove, with a back zipper that goes below her waist. She has the chest but is not as broad of shoulders as I am. I can't get the Aqualock zipped.

Henderson also will custom make a wetsuit. It is more pricey but worth it for the comfort if that's what it takes.

~Michelle

Try a Waterproof suit. They are cut for real women with a ladies hips & boobs, even +-size women! (the "+" is a size that understands how large is often more horizontal than vertical :) .

:chuckle: I thought I was the only one with the "boobs" issue and wetsuits! My butt fits a size 8, my boobs need a size 12 LOL. I compromised with a 10 and get a saggy butt fit. oh well, at least I can breathe! :)

Wouldn't a mix and match wetsuit be ideal. Like the bikinis shops that let you pick the tops and bottoms that fit you rather than all one size.

The concept of having a narrow waist with wider hips on a wetsuit is not anything new. The concept of having the zipper stop at the waist is a man's idea. It is just my opinion, but possibly it was meant as a means to help remove the bikini bottom at the same time?

Like I said, it was a man's idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom