Why do you dive?

What are the mean reasons you dive?

• I dive because I like the diving by itself

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • I dive because I enjoy what I see under water

Votes: 45 42.5%
  • I dive because of another reason (please indicate which reason!)

Votes: 23 21.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is an adventure. An adventure almost anyone can go on. I might not make outer space, but I get the next best thing.:scuba:

I dive because it's there... living on an island I am surrounded by salt water so it is either swim, dive or drown if I walk too far from shore!

Seriously, I dive because there are no cell phones, fax machines, modems, etc., down there.

I dive because I enjoy the feeling of three dimensionality in my movement (I find I can actually navigate over 3-D terrain better than over a 2-D surface... because I don't drink U/W).

I dive because I'm a marine biologist and have to in pursuit of my work (we do call it work... with a big smile; a day in the "office" is a joy).

I dive because I'm an underwater videographer and there aren't any gorgonians or nudibranchs above the surface.

But mostly I dive because it is one of my consuming passions in life (next to a good beer milkshake and an intelligent woman).

Dr. Bill

I dive for the feeling of weighlessness. I dive for both the reasons you mention. I love going to the museum of a cold, freshwater wreck that looks the same as it did in the 1800's when it sunk. (Except the Zebra Mussels, can't you do something about them Dr. Bill?)

I love watching and interacting with the fish. I have swam next to sharks, barracuda, and rays. I have been in awe of all of them. I love photography. I now have a place of endless adventure to take pictures. Coral makes such a lovely backdrop for photography.

I love the technical aspects of planning a deep dive. I just fell in love with the sport all the way around. My perfect world anymore is underwater (too bad I can't have job there, but it doesn't pay what mine does and I am not that big an idiot.). And while I am actually quite shy, I come to life around divers. The adventurous side that I didn't know that I had comes out.

There are more reasons than that why I dive, but, those are the primary ones.

I love the beautiful sealife. The warm tropical waters, for me, are the best. I know that I need to dive locally, to improve my skills, I just wish that it was more visually exciting.

I dive because there are no bees underwater. I'm afraid of bees.

I dive because I "want to" and with all the many reasons that "want to" encapsulates" as the list is way longgggggggggggg!

-Dennis

...AFTER the dive I feel SO good. In fact (I'm a blood pressure watcher) my blood pressure drops 20 points after I dive. When I told my doctor about this, he said, "Then as your doctor, I perscribe MORE DIVING!"
I love that guy...

I know the poll is flawed and that I needed to make more options or combine some options into one. I was just interested in getting a general idea of what kind of divers there are on these forums. It was cool to read through the replies! You guys make me even more exited about getting into the water again! :) There’s a great bunch of very enthusiastic people here! I love reading the stories!!

I can relate to many things people wrote. I also find it so relaxing to be diving and forget everything I still need to do!! :) The main reason I started diving though was my interest in fishes and everything else that lives or grows under water. I started snorkelling as a teenager and since then, I couldn’t wait to become a scuba diver as well to be able to go deeper and see more in the ocean…

Unfortunately I don’t live in a very fancy place for diving… I am not a person who would change into a diver who mainly dives to play around under water. I’d like to be in awe of the nature and not have fun with beer cans and other garbage that I find while diving! Oh well… I now know why I need to save up money!! To go on vacations more to go diving!!! :)

Wish you all lots of fun & good diving!

Watersprite

Crawdads. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom