Question Why don’t drysuits have calf/ankle dump valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m looking at drysuits, it seems like it would help with inversion(?)

Not a question of concern, more just curiosity

That's easy enough to prevent (or handle) anyway, and any extra valve on the suit is something more to leak and be annoying.

I’m looking at drysuits, it seems like it would help with inversion(?)
In the grand scheme of things you don't need it. Get a M2M drysuit that actually fits and add just enough air to prevent squeeze. An ankle vent would be a gear solution for a skills problem.

Good luck with your new drysuit.. opens up a whole new world of diving!

I am still deciding on which one. Water gets chilly in Oki for the next couple months so it’s a good time to learn. I’d rather figure out deysuit on a nice subtropical island rather than figure it out when I get back to the inky waters of the Puget Sound

I am still deciding on which one. Water gets chilly in Oki for the next couple months so it’s a good time to learn. I’d rather figure out deysuit on a nice subtropical island rather than figure it out when I get back to the inky waters of the Puget Sound

How's diving in Oki? Is there a better time of the year to dive there or is it all the same please?

I used to dive in Japan and almost every Japanese dry suit diver I saw had ankle valves. I had never seen ankle valves before.

I used to dive in Japan and almost every Japanese dry suit diver I saw had ankle valves. I had never seen ankle valves before.
Is that a valve you set with a bit of resistance so it does not auto dump but dumps only if you end up inverted?

Do you have one on each leg?

I don’t see one in this video

Is that a valve you set with a bit of resistance so it does not auto dump but dumps only if you end up inverted?

Do you have one on each leg?
I didn’t dive with ankle valves. They looked smaller than the shoulder dump valve and they could be opened and closed like shoulder valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom