Why don't wings have shoulder dump valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not if you’re a woman with short arms! It’s an issue a number of women have reported that they can’t reach the XDeep dump on the back with the wing fully inflated.
Moi oci!

It is sometimes quite awkward to reach that dump. But the location is pretty much at the highest point when flat in the water.

Some people -- especially who use it with the Kiss Sidewinder -- have modified it to put a pull toggle on the front which connects to the butt dump.

I've played with putting a remote dump where God intended the dumps to be, on the LH waist belt :)

Gave up in the end and just learned how to reach the normal dump.

Moi oci!

It is sometimes quite awkward to reach that dump. But the location is pretty much at the highest point when flat in the water.

Some people -- especially who use it with the Kiss Sidewinder -- have modified it to put a pull toggle on the front which connects to the butt dump.

I've played with putting a remote dump where God intended the dumps to be, on the LH waist belt :)

Gave up in the end and just learned how to reach the normal dump.

That pull toggle remote dump is what I meant by a shoulder dump. I forgot about the abomination of a thing combined with the corrugated hose. I’ve never had one of those.

That pull toggle remote dump is what I meant by a shoulder dump. I forgot about the abomination of a thing combined with the corrugated hose. I’ve never had one of those.
Had one of those shoulder "pull" corrigated dumps when I first started diving. Only worked when you were out of trim, head up.

Once I saw the light and moved to a backplate + doughnut wing I never missed it.

We descend vertically, and when we reach the approximate target depth, we flatten out and move horizontally.
Modest, gradual changes in depth thereafter are also done in a horizontal orientation.

The problem with this method is that the diver starts to fin to slow their descent and not put air In their BCD / Wing.

You should go horizontal earlier in order to see below.

I frequently encounter divers kicking up silt and destroying the visibility when doing feet first vertical descents and as a photographer I get pissed off. This also destroys corals and dislodges critters too, which I'm not happy about and will result in more than a few pokes from my muck stick if I'm taking photos in the immediate vicinity.

It's the influence of DIR: the LHS is for regular activities; the RHS is for emergencies which you leave clear. Hence stages left, cannister dive light in left hand Goodman handle, SPG (gauge), all on the left. Long hose on right which is now clean.

Thus you can donate and dump at the same time. Or hold someone/thing with the right hand and still be able to dump with the left.
It was those DIR guys that caused my wing to have a left hip dump... in 1978??? damn them...

It was those DIR guys that caused my wing to have a left hip dump... in 1978??? damn them...
Now I know who to blame. I got a bit of arthritis in my left shoulder and I'm right handed. I'd much rather hip dump on the right side, but it's not an option with my donut. I can do it on the left, but it's not as quick and smooth a motion as it is on my right. (My "travel" BCD has a left hip dump.)

I didn't mention this bc was bottom dumpless so I hacked it open and installed one

full.jpg

Here are some of my wings all with shoulder dumps and I am the solo diver

full.jpg

and if they dont have them I install them, forever

Interesting. How do you do to get the string from the dump valve to stay in the right position? Did put some kind of straps on the webbing? Or do you reach over your shoulder everytime?

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd ask here because it seems related to a BP&W discussion and the initial question has been answered. So I hope this isn't considered a thread highjack.

I dive a BP&W 95% of the time with a single tank and this issue did not occur when I dove doubles. I keep my backup reg on a necklace around my neck. Whenever I place the tank a bit lower so as to reduce the amount the valve of the tank is directly behind my head, the hose for my backup seems to get caught/hung up on my wing. When I have the backup reg in my mouth, this prevents me from being able to turn my head left much unless I reach back with my right hand and slide the hose up a bit.

Is this just the reality of a BP&W rig and diving with the tank valve directly behind my head is the best/only option? Having the valve that high is uncomfortable and seems unnecessary when using a single tank. Might it have something to do with using an STA? For example, if I did not use an STA and the tank sat closer to my BP&W perhaps the hose would not get caught up?

Obviously, I could put in some pool time and experiment with configurations, but getting a head start on ideas would be nice before doing that. Thx.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom