Why is DIR called a philosophy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
Please don't troll in the DIR forum, and sign up for a GUE course. The equipment configuration is not even half of what its about. You're just beating on a strawman...
<snicker>

What makes you think its a troll?
What makes you think that what I said was about equipment configuration? (Look up the word procedure)

Beating a strawman...Thats actually funny.

Albion:
However it is some of this nit picking that turns me off the 'whole" thing. Many people recite mantra like the preachings of JJ even when they are not appropriate to the question or without knowing the reason behind them. Philosophy is about thinking and many do not think but simply recite.
See Lamont's post to me...(ahhhh...I see you saw that)

Albion:
Although not DIR, and a bit anti to some members of the fraternity, I do see a lot of positives ideas and measures set up by DIR. However it is some of this nit picking that turns me off the 'whole" thing. Many people recite mantra like the preachings of JJ even when they are not appropriate to the question or without knowing the reason behind them. Philosophy is about thinking and many do not think but simply recite.
The devil is in the details...so they say. But people get bogged down in the details...and they are the easiest things to debate and probably are the least important.

Donate what you breath.....Simple, to the point...
Is my Comfy Bite DIR? Depends on who you talk to...and If I need gas...I really don't care.

(an over simplification to demonstrate a point...try to keep the lemmings at bay :wink:

lamont:
Looking at the posts he's made recently as context, I'm pretty sure he's trolling...
I'm pretty sure your right.

I see DIR as a philosophy of diving and perhaps a way of being in the world as well. In diving it consists of principles (as have been mentioned before). As an ideal to be strived for I don’t think any person can be 100% DIR at all times… but all of us can work towards this goal. GUE is an organization that is both a training agency and an active promoter of underwater research and best practices. In a sense it is the implementation of DIR tenants but as an organization consisting of fallible individuals is not DIR itself. Unlike other training agencies, GUE does not strive to be the biggest nor does it contend that GUE training is for everyone. It is highly self selective… and aims at improving the diving of a few, in the past in the technical area, in the future to some extent in basic open water area.

jonnythan:
Don't believe everything you read :eyebrow:
But that would require some kind of thought, its much easier to read the surface and assume (almost the same problem with internet DIR divers). Yet I get called a troll and clueless in the same thread, but I get the friendly reminder :) ... just don't get any respect LOL

The friendly reminder was for everyone's benefit Jeff, not just yours ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom