Why is Philippine diving snubbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess you are all right to try to keep the publicity down until the reefs can recover more thoroughly.When i was there in May/2000 I stayed at Aqua Tropical Sports resort in Anilao.I was the only one there! All that food just for me!!!But I would have preferred a complimentary Balut for dessert.Hahahaha..I am hoping to return this Coming February or March..I would like to check out the area around La Union,and I have heard Boracay is nice.I do like to dive wrecks instead of reefs as I live in Wisconsin and vast majority of my dives are wreck dives.Can any Filipino divers let me know what job situation there would be for an American diver? I really would like to eventually make the Philippines my second home.As far as security I consider the Philippines more safe than Indonesia or southern Thailand.But I am not that worldly,my opinion formed from reading news in the countries websites.Dive safe everyone!

dutch-scuba-kid:
Yeah, I noticed it too. But it's also a good thing for an obvious reason. As long as it's not being promoted much, than keep your mouth shut so you can still enjoy the fabulous diving there. Once they start promoting the Philz, I'm a bit worried you'll get the same situation as in for example Egypt.

That makes a lot of sense. I can dive in the Philippines for a week for what it costs for one day in Hawaii--and see sooooo much more!

You're right; I don't want the world to find out! But if the Philippines really got the tourism thing going, perhaps they would be more interested in preserving their corals.

jedidiver:
... Can any Filipino divers let me know what job situation there would be for an American diver? I really would like to eventually make the Philippines my second home...

If you want to work in the dive industry, either you go the path of SCUBA Instructor with a foreign language (aside from english) or you may do travel marketing.

love2godeep:
Why do the dive magazines (at least the two I get) seem to totally ignore the fabulous diving in the Philippines?

I had a better level of instruction, better divemasters, and better safety in the Philippines than I did in the US. The prices are amazingly low; the corals breathtaking. Yet the mags act as if it doesn't exist.

The mags I get are SCUBA diver and Rodale's Scuba mag. (I don't remember subscribing to it, but it started showing up in my mailbox.)

Maybe because most dive magazines are American and the US has a travel advisory against visiting the Philippines. There are a lot of kidnappings there but it's not foreigners. It's Chinese businessmen and their families. Quality of diving? There is a lot of damaged reef but there is some fantastic diving also. Hank

love2godeep:
Why do the dive magazines (at least the two I get) seem to totally ignore the fabulous diving in the Philippines?

I had a better level of instruction, better divemasters, and better safety in the Philippines than I did in the US. The prices are amazingly low; the corals breathtaking. Yet the mags act as if it doesn't exist.

The mags I get are SCUBA diver and Rodale's Scuba mag. (I don't remember subscribing to it, but it started showing up in my mailbox.)

Try Aisa Diver Mag. it has lots of reviews for Philippine dive sights. I like the Alantis Resorts in the PI, it is German owned and managed.

Try Aisan Diver mag lots of reviews for that part of the world. While diving in the PI try Alantis Resorts. It is German owned and managed. Very good value for the $$ spent.

love2godeep
I have been in the Philippines 3 times in the past 7 /8 months and had a great time everytime I go. I enjoy to go to Anilao for coral diving and to Subic Bay for the wreck diving. I definelty will be going there again in the near future to teach some technical courses. AS far as the terrorist threats, this is the same crap that has been going on for over 20 years. I was there in the military back in the early 80's and I took a trip down south and they had to hide me from the NPA. This is the same thing that has been going on for ages. If you are worried about the threats just try avoid the very extreme southern parts of the P.I. There are to many other nice places to visit.

andibk

love2godeep:

You are very right ,also i,m disapointed that noone writes about BRAZIL,everything in the mags is about the same locations every year.If you collect the mags then you,ll be able to compare them,very little changes.They also leave out the Indian Ocean and various parts of Africa.peace

andibk:
love2godeep
I have been in the Philippines 3 times in the past 7 /8 months and had a great time everytime I go. I enjoy to go to Anilao for coral diving and to Subic Bay for the wreck diving. I definelty will be going there again in the near future to teach some technical courses. AS far as the terrorist threats, this is the same crap that has been going on for over 20 years. I was there in the military back in the early 80's and I took a trip down south and they had to hide me from the NPA. This is the same thing that has been going on for ages. If you are worried about the threats just try avoid the very extreme southern parts of the P.I. There are to many other nice places to visit.

andibk

Agreed. I've been to Palawan maybe 6 times in the last couple years, including way out at Cuyo Island, and there has been absolutely no problem with terrorists. I understand that the Abu Sayaaf is pretty much defunct.

Just came back from Puerto Galera and the diving was pretty good. Infrastructure for diving was of good standard but the accomodations can be pretty basic. No terrorists and no kidnappings, just some girlie bars (at Sabang) and half decent food. But best of all, it is damn affordable. Will be going back again in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom