Why is the diving so expensive in the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga Rum is made there. :thinkof:

The Cayman Islands can be more expensive but it's worth the little extra you might pay. The people there are very very friendly and the diving is excelent.

I get the chance to visit a bunch of islands....and while some are cheaper, a lot are in the neighborhood of $70.00 for a two tank boat dive. Actually most I've seen in the high nineties/low hundreds.

Thankfully, I often get the "local"discount....because we come back every week and the operators want us to mention their shop to any guests that ask.

I agree...everything in Cayman is expensive. That's why after our first trip staying at the Marriott and diving with Bob Soto, we discovered Cayman Dive Lodge on the East End. This is where you need to go! It's all inclusive...just eat (great food!), sleep and dive! There's no pool or really anything to do out there on the East End but relax! This is what Cayman was like 30 years ago. We have been there 3 times and planning our 4th trip this July after a stay at Southern Cross in Little Cayman. I promise you will not go wrong with CDL!

My husband & I went on the annual October week-long event, Cayman Madness. Bob Soto's puts it on, & if u stay at the Seaview as opposed to the Marriot you can dive out of the back yard. Many, many boat dives are included, too, for one reasonable (well, reasonable for the Caymans!) price. The party atmosphere is already there. I would do it again.

I just got back and couldnt honestly recommend that anyone go there just to dive. THere is better value else where even if the diving is very good.

Thats not to say I had a bad time, only that I wouldnt return to GC anytime soon.

There is better value else where. Also, Im an active person and there was simply not enough to occupy me while not diving.

Who in the samhill did you dive with & where on G.C., also in our opinion Little Cayman & the Brac are better diving, less crowded and Bloody Bay Wall is as good as it gets in the Carribean. I could go to any island and make it as expensive as G.C. I'll admit we've seen better diving elsewhere such as the Red Sea and also South Africa (Indian Ocean), but for being close in the carribean try the sister islands. ;~)

I LOVED the GC diving experience, but Rosesrfree is dead right about there not being anything to do when u r not diving. The last time I saw less traditional culture, I was in a mini-mall in Orange County. If you love to drink yourself stupid, there are bars, but I saw no sign of good live music venues, museums (unless there is a museum of tourism), or local crafts & customs at work. I hope to dive the sister islands someday, but without a structured tour group to create a party atmosphere, I wonder what I would do with my SIT time. :eek:ut:

You are absolutely correct in thinking that there will not be much to do if you are looking for museums or music venues in the Caymans. If you think G.C. doesnt have any thing then the Brac has less and L.C. even less if that is possible. I would not recommend doing the Sister islands if this is what you are after.

We just got back from G.C. If you're seeking a party, go to Cozumel. We really enjoy the quiet and safe atmosphere that Cayman provides. While there is the Lone Star Bar, the Hard Rock Cafe and the Calypso Grill is always fun. But we also enjoy things like the botanical park, the turtle farm and just walking the beach. Don't diss the island because you made the wrong choice. Do some research, then make an informed choice of destination...
And as far as over priced, well I did 12 dives while there last week for a total cost of $258, that's $21.50 a dive. I don't really consider that to be over priced. But, that's just my opinion..
:mean:

Back
Top Bottom