Why it irks me that I have DEPP insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never heard that they didn't pay a claim, but I did hear that they canceled policies after a claim was paid out. I would rather go without insurance completely than to deal with DEPP again.

As far as the homeowner's insurance - it all depends on the company. Some companies won't do it, some will do it but will raise your premium. I think USAA is one of the few that puts it as a separate policy with no affect if there is a claim. At least that is what they told us. I guess we won't find out for sure unless we do have a claim.

robin:D

to me insurance is just one of those thing that you have and hope to never use.:confused:
i have had DEPP for a wile now and have had one small claim with them and it went pretty well. it took them about 3 weeks to get me a check. i only know of one person that has had his DEPP plan canceled :cussing: and it was because he drop 8,000 dollar over the side of the boat twice :banghead:and each time DEPP payed out. i guess dealing with DEPP is a little like russian rulet you never know what kind of service you'll get.

i only know of one person that has had his DEPP plan canceled :cussing: and it was because he drop 8,000 dollar over the side of the boat twice

I'm going to ride in a small boat under the boat that this guy is on...

I've had good experiences with DEPP, which I've carried for several years. I recently had a dive computer go bad on me and they've been responsive and cooperative.

I too have had DEPP for many years and have never had a problem with them, And even had good results after a claim!

Chalk me in for DEPP, too.

I've had several claims through the many years I've been with them and each was handled quickly so I had new gear in hand in very reasonable time. I've had big and little claims - didn't seem to matter and I have NOT been dropped or otherwise penalized. I do not see a reason to change companies at this time; this is the best choice for me.

Communication does seem to be a problem for some people with this company and that's a real shame.

I'd be real careful about spouting off about companies being scams etc. Much better, imho, to detail the problems you had, the steps towards resolution and outcome as this gives people good, calm information to consider.

I have no experience with DEPP, but I did have a recent experience with my state farm personal articles policy. I had all of my camera stuff - camera body, five lenses, memory cards, flash, underwater housing, and a few misc items- stolen from my car on a Wednesday. I called the police and my insurance agent. An insurance claims rep called me within a few hours to ask a few questions, give me a claim number and fax number to send the police report to. I got the police report on Friday and faxed it over to the claim rep. On Monday, the claim rep called me with replacement value for everything and asked if I wanted a check sent in the mail or them to send the items. I opted for the check which I received on Friday. I felt the whole process was extremely fast and as painless as possible. I would highly recommend state farm's personal article policy to anyone.

I am unfortunately just filing a claim with DEPP for my flooded camera. I'll post a timeline and keep you up to date as things happen. The camera goes out via UPS to the repair facility for evaluation tomorrow. They should have it Tuesday.

I rec'd an email that they should have the damage determination report last week. Nothing so far. I will follow up again on Thursday or Friday, giving them 2 weeks from the time the service center received the camera on or about the 18th.

I have all of my camera gear insured with State Farm....not via homeowners policy but a separate policy that covers the gear no matter what happens - at the recommendation of my agent. As I recall, I have ~$5000.00 worth of coverage for about $35.00 per year.

Fortunately, I haven't had to test this policy, but I have had other homeowner claims (and one for my boat) that were settled with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom