Why it irks me that I have DEPP insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many may recall I lost my Canon 20D, Ikelite housing and strobes (2-DS51) on a dive in Lake Lanier, Ga. I called StateFarm and they said, nope, that kind of loss is not covered. However to end on a happy note, I found it 8 weeks later with no damage.

WOW! You are fortunate. You must have been in Poseidon's good grace. I'm sure your bank account was appreciative not having to pay for any replacement equipment.:D

I sent a note to them Sunday requesting a replacement (Canon a650). As of today I have not heard from them OK'ing the deal, but that should be OK under my policy.
I just took delivery of an underwater housing for my Canon A650, and had always thought I would be purchasing flood insurance. Well for a $300-$400 camera and $170 housing I'm not so sure. DEPP hasn't responded (yet) for a request for a quote, and H2OInsurance (DAN) wanted $99 with a $250 deductible (for water damage, $100 deductible otherwise). Unless I also insure all my scuba gear it just doesn't make financial sense - $99/year seemed to be their minimum premium for up to $2K-$3K of gear.

I called my Home Owners Insurance, and they told me that don't offer a rider (personal article policy) for scuba gear. I suspect if it got stolen they'd cover it, but that's not the same thing, as mikerault pointed out.

Jerry

I sent a note to them Sunday requesting a replacement (Canon a650). As of today I have not heard from them OK'ing the deal, but that should be OK under my policy.

Repaired housing received today. All new O-rings and pressure tested. Still waiting on replacement camera.

Received an email today that my replacement camera shipped last Thursday, 5/8.

I came home to find the replacement camera had been delivered. So it was 8 weeks from the day I sent the camera away until I had the camera replaced and the housing repaired and returned. This includes almost two weeks on indecision on my part about what to do to replace the camera, and what to replace it with. All in all I am very happy with how this was handled, and had no communication problems (most via email). I'm not saying they responded immediately, but certainly within reasonable times.

That said I think I will look at insurance that will cover replacement cost in cash versus physical replacement. With equipment being discontinued so rapidly, I think that will be a much easier way to deal with severe damage issues.

It seems they have rectified their email problems. I needed to make some adjustments to my coverage and requested a current listing from them yesterday, and it was received immediately.

i second the additional rider thru state farm. just as inexpensive as DEPP or DAN and covers you completely. I left DEPP after i was told that i could only make two claims per calendar year...

Great that you've got all the new pieces now!

That said I think I will look at insurance that will cover replacement cost in cash versus physical replacement. With equipment being discontinued so rapidly, I think that will be a much easier way to deal with severe damage issues.
In my dealings with DEPP, they simply replace with the newer model as long as it's the same amount (or lower) than the original was. I ended up with the Canon 10-22 instead of the Sigma 10-20 after a flood, with no problem on their end. I've had brand new, current video cameras in lieu of mucking about finding the exact model that got dusted.

This is a really good point in choosing insurance - I know that I am going to need GEAR so gear replacement suits me to a T. I have no interest in mucking about waiting to receive cash and then shopping! I just want to have it done. Others may not be sure that they are really going to want new gear, so cash gives some very nice flexibility.

Well, I damaged the bottom of my Sony HC-7 camera and emailed Sandy at Depp. She had me mail the camera to this dive shop in Washington state. They in turn sent it to Sony. This was on March 26 and they sent it to Sony about a week later.

I emailed Sandy 2 weeks ago and asked if she had heard anything back yet. No reply to several emails. So I contacted the dive shop and they replied within hours. Sony had contacted them and had repaired the camera. It was on its way back to them. Last Tuesday, May 13th The dive shop emailed me to say that they had received the camera but were waiting on DEPP to pay the cost and then they would send it to me.

More emails to DEPP and no replies. I've just emailed the dive company asking what the cost of repairs is so I can pay them and get my camera. I have a dive trip coming up and have lost all confidence that DEPP will reply in a timely manner. Meanwhile my $1000+ video camera is sitting in a dive shop in WA.

I will be visiting my State Farm agent tomorrow to inquire about a separate personal articles policy. I wish DAN's equipment insurance covered Alaska.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom