Why it irks me that I have DEPP insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bummer, that doesn't give you much time for a couple tests before your trip. I hope all works out well...

Fortunately the camera was working fine. It didn't get flooded or anything. It was just the bottom became detached due to torque from the housing and perhaps too much shaking in the Pelican. We thought that carrying the camera in the housing would protect it better but I think the torque is too much. So from now on I will carry it in my carry on bag.

Update. I received the camera a week ago and it looks brand new. So much so that I actually checked the serial number to make sure :)

The total cost of the repair with shipping came to $617. The DEPP deductible is 10% so my portion is only $61. My yearly premium is a little over $400 so this isn't bad at all.

DEPP's communication sucks royally. I only knew about the status of the camera and when it got shipped because the dive shop that was working as the intermediary told me. But they did come through in the end.

I don't understand why they don't just have the person ship their camera directly to the manufacturer? That's all this dive shop did. So they incurred an additional amount to have the camera shipped to Sony and me.

I flooded my Nikon D200 during a dive trip toward the end of April. (My fault for not rechecking things after getting distracted while assembling.)

The agent from Fireman's Funs (DAN's insurer) was Excellent. I sent the camera in to Nikon and was given the "Not economical to repair" response via email. I forwarded the Nikon email and scanned copies of my invoices to the agent and a check minus the deductible was mailed the same day. I had the check in my hand before the non-repairable camera body was returned to me. Nikon actually didn't ship the body until 3 days after I had the funds. The deductible for a flood event was $250, but compared to the cost of the replacement equipment, that wasn't bad.

For those of you looking for equipment insurance, I thought I might briefly share a very happy experience with DAN Equipment Insurance (H20Insurance). I just returned from a dive trip to Indonesia. I broke my camera when I slipped and fell. It was a small part of a very large insurance package that I purchased including all of my photography and dive equipment. I submitted a claim for my loss, was contacted immediately with a list of items that they needed from me and once I submitted that list, a week or so later, I was immediately contacted by the insurance company and told that a check would be issued. I was absolutely blown away by their customer service and responsiveness. The check arrived roughly 3 weeks from the time of submission. Wow!
Now, compare this to my experience with DEPP. I submitted a small claim for a focus light that fell off my camera while diving. It took me 5 months and an untold amount emails to get any response from DEPP. It was a horribly stressful and aggravating experience to say the least but worth pursuing on principal alone. Needless to say, I highly recommend DAN Equipment Insurance and personally won't be going back to DEPP ever!!!

Dear all who have had problems with DEPP...
I am have just submitted 20 plus pages to the Kentucky Insurance Commissioners Office in support of my official complaint and would appreciate a 1 paragraph from you by private message explaining the nature of your problem with DEPP, whether they have paid you, how long it has/had been going on and your impression of dealing with the Lehrmitts.
If you would do this asap, like yesterday, I would appreciate it. Of course I will be happy to pass on the result of my complaint including the guy at the Commissioners office's contact details.
Kind regards to all
Simon

I'm still "waiting" for the check to cover the theft of my two dive computers a year ago June. DEPP promised a check would be cut, but it wasn't. Then they said it hadn't been but they would be sending me a check (back in Feb). I Know the USPS can be slow at times, but I think 7 months should be plenty of time to get the check to me (even if they sent it by "snail" mail). I've kept "all" their e-mails (they were not real responsive) on this so I can prove that they said these things.

Just in case you did not see this email from undercurrent, please see below.
I have just sent my thoughts and a summary of my situation to Ben, hope you all have time to do the same this weekend...

Best
Simon

"Whenever we write about dive equipment insurance, we always get a few reader complaints about Dive Equipment Protection Plan (DEPP) and its slow handling of complaints. In this month's issue, Deane W. Lehrmitt, who handles the DEPP program, explained why DEPP has recently been giving its customers the silent treatment (a five-week computer systems failure), but some Undercurrent readers aren't buying that. "If they are up and running again since December, why are they not responding to all the claims filed before that?" asks Helena Soler (Mammoth Lakes, CA). Have you too had any bad experiences with DEPP or another dive equipment insurer? Or can you share a good customer-service story, or advice on how to get a claim handled right? Send me your stories, comments and tips at EditorBenD@Undercurrent.org"

The check for my dive computers stolen back in June of 2010 finally arrived from DEPP yesterday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom