Why it irks me that I have DEPP insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my suspicion about how DEPP would handle a claim...I have always assumed I'd pay for the repair/replacement, and wait forever for the $, which admittedly stinks... I had heard DAN was a bit better about getting the $ to you, and they are easy to get into contact with...

I just really don't like being lied to - and I do not appreciate being treated like I am at best - uninformed - and at worst - incapable of understanding what I've purchased (especially when it was purchased because DEPP didn't call me back for a month).

I inquired about this with our homeowners policy (State Farm), but I had heard horror stories about people's premiums going sky-high after a claim... The State Farm woman I spoke to asked me about the policy I have now, and she recommended not to go with a personal article policy. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

We dive a LOT locally - multiple times a week when the marine forecast looks good. I will be making a claim at some point...

Darn, here we are revisiting a subject that has been discussed ad nauseum. You can PM me...

I have Progressive boat insurance. We flooded our camera and they paid immediately less the 250 deductible. Check in less than 14 days

Wow, over 2 years to settle a claim. The check may take a few days to clear.

Oops, my bad. The theft was in June of 2011

Glad to hear it Bill, they didnt put my check in with yours did they??

I was with DEPP and had to claim. It took me months, about five or six from memory to get a partial payment. They changed the master policy during my term and it became a Like for like replacement and not "new" as it had been when I signed up. During this time I heard other stories first had from DEPP clients who had never been paid out despite complying with the procedures required. I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole. As H2O only insure US residents, I can't use them. European residents could look at Scuba Diving Insurance UK | Dive Master Insurance, but i have deiced to go without. Insuring 5000 euros of kit would cost me 480 euros per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom