Why leave your gauges and octopus dangling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only two hoses. By using an air integrated wrist mounted computer I eliminate the guages, and by having my octopus integrated on my BC there is no alternate regulator to hang down. I'm a lean and mean scuba machine.

Scuba_Steve:
It's one thing to state dangly things are bad form, but another to enforce it from the get-go with students to start them out and do it right.
Hold on, hold on, hold on! Is that common sense comming out of your mouth?!?!:confused: You mean instructors could actually teach that in their classes? What an idea!

Think how much better that would be for everyone. The environment wouldn't get beaten up as much--that'd make everyone happy. The equipment wouldn't get beaten up--that'd make the owners (both for personal and rental gear) happy. And the diver's in question wouldn't get 'beaten up' for doing something dumb--that'd make them happy.

I'm seeing no downside here. That would be great--if we could get it to work that way. Here's hopin'......

Brian

Penguinboy:
They can hit stuff and get stuck.

Like hitting the other divers in your group.:crying2:

It has been my observation that Divers who have the "dangles" have never had a situation where they needed to access the gear in question in an emergency. Therefore, they have been lulled into a false sense of security, the "It won't happen to me" syndrome. I sincerely hope that it never really does happen to them, they will be totally unprepared if it does.

Penguinboy:
tuck them inside your cummerbund. (the latter being my favourite for the SPG because all you then need to do is look down and theres all your info you need - without even moving your hands)

That's what I was taught by my instructor. And the gear we used for class all had clips on it for the octo.

fisherdvm:
I am not sure why alot of people don't secure their alt air source and gauges when diving.

Unfortunately I think that a lot of people fall in the "Monkey see, Monkey do" category in all walks of life. Diving is no different. When dive training does not sufficiently address why things are done the way they are, people eventually get complacent about the details and start doing what the rest of the troop is doing around them.

I also think it's often an unfortunate case of either total ignorence or disregard for the gear they are using, or both.
1. Ignorence - because they just were not taught about it at all?
2. Disregard - because after all it's a rental! Why the *bleep* should they care? (Well shucks....lemme think now...mebbe coz if the gear is damaged as it drags through the muck it won't work when you need it to save your life?)

It boils down to irresponsible diving practice: indifference to their own safety, improper care for their gear, and indifference towards the environment; in short shoddy training :shakehead

i don't leave my gauge's dangeling i have clip's for them ...wisper(they really don't work that good). every time i go to look at my air the gauge is alway's on the floor or just dangeling after i just reput it in the clip

DaFishy:
i don't leave my gauge's dangeling i have clip's for them ...wisper(they really don't work that good). every time i go to look at my air the gauge is alway's on the floor or just dangeling after i just reput it in the clip
Time for a trip to the good ol' LDS then I guess heh? :D :coffee:

I have my octo clipped, but I leave my guages loose for now. I haven't found a clip that secures it flat enough. It always looks like it would be creating more drag to me the way I have it clipped.
If I am going to be close to the reef or floor, I flip it over the back of my leg, so it's kinda in between my leg.

Too many folks learn to dive but never become divers. They are oblivious to the hazards and abuse danagling gear allows. The also never drop the extra lead, fail to rinse their gear and think trim is maintaining their toenails.

I agree some must find it photogenic or something. You see it a lot in all sorts of old photos and movies where you know (hope) the subject was surrounded by seasoned divers.

No good can come from unrestrained gear.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom