Why leave your gauges and octopus dangling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc:
Anyome have any pics of how they stow their consol?

No picture handy but I can describe it.

I put a 10 inch bungee off the left side of the console and attaced a bolt snap. This clips to my top left shoulder D ring. The cosole hangs a bit below me and it right there at the ready to scan or navigate with. If I'm coming down close to something I do hold it to my chest to keep it out of things but it's only 10 inches below me at worst. Essentially it's a poor mans shoulder retractor with no real moving parts except the boltsnap.

Pete

Well, I got a D9 so I have no hose and no compass to hang from my rig. I have Airsource and no octo. Cut the dangle, cut your hoses.

Charlie59:
Well, I got a D9 so I have no hose and no compass to hang from my rig.

Did you have an airpowered compass? Now I feel left out, I thought I finally had my reg set up well, but I don't have a compass hanging off of a port anywhere. Drat.

Maybe while I'm at it, I'll upgrade to a hoseless second too.

My PADI OW instructor did work with us on eliminating danglies and being streamlined. So, I have my console on a retractor against the left side of my bc (looks like timle's picture) and an air2 eliminating the octo. My power inflator/air 2 is the longest loose item, but, unless I need two hands for taking pictures or something like that, I dive with my hands against my chest holding the inflator. Once in that position, the longest dangly is my small backup light, which is clipped to my right shoulder and only dangles as far as the light is long, about 7 inches or so.

Mike

One of the first things I was taught was how to streamline my gauges. I have used all sorts of clips over my dives, but What really works for me is a simple retractor attached to my bcd and spg. It always is tight against my chest right where I need it. I eliminated the octo a while back, but I found a piece of strech tubbing to secure it when I had the octo....

I would like to think I would have figured the whole streamlined approach to diving out without my instructor saying something. But I had a good instructor who wanted to make sure we knew how not to make an *** out of ourselves..

Of course If you have ever seen someones octo or spg get stuck in the rail of a ship, as I have, you might also get that point without someone saying something.

i think its because they have to much money i cant le m sstuff dangle because id it breaks i dont have the money to getnew or fix it

it seems to me most of these 'danglers' or shall we call them 'draggers' (i suppose that is just a debate on depth) anyways... it seems to me that these offenders are almost always renters. people that own their own gear also bought the $50 worth of clips etc.

I have seen a dive snag an octo and nearly rip it off the hose durring the dive I have also seen an octo that was ripped off its hose dirring a dive. I wont even go into the cost of a computer and a banged up screen.

If you have that much extra money laying around that you can afford to break equipment by being lazy or worse stupid please spread it around to those of us who seem to never have enough.

It seems to be often overlooked, but PADI requires students to have their gear streamlined and equipment secured.

I personally use a small loop made of surgical tubing and tied with zip ties to secure my octo to my right chest d-ring. It fits around the mouthpiece and pops free very easily. Also cheap.

For my console, I just clip it across my chest and I can read it by just looking down. The most dangly thing left is probably the inflator.

I learned on my own ... and quick. On my first night dive during AOW, my dangly octo hooked on something up and behind me like a grapling hook. Ten seconds of pure fright!

Dennis

Dennis

I can assure you that in my PADI OW course streamlining equipment was never mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom