Why leave your gauges and octopus dangling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaFishy:
i don't leave my gauge's dangeling i have clip's for them ...wisper(they really don't work that good). every time i go to look at my air the gauge is alway's on the floor or just dangeling after i just reput it in the clip
Time for a new clip, and/or a new style of clip. Personally I'm a fan of boltsnaps. If what you are using isn't working out for you then it's time to experiment with other things until you find something that works the way you want it to.

Brian

I learned to dive in the early 80's and am just getting back into it after a long layoff in the 90's. Back in those days I don't recall a lot of discussion about dangling gear or having all the nifty gadgets to clip octos with etc. I'm sorry to say I've done a few dives recently before I realized how effective a snorkel keeper is to hold an octo. I'm learning a lot more about diving now that we can share information on the internet. I'm also learning how many judgemental know-it-alls have gotten into the sport. Apparently I'm a bad diver because I'm not up to their standards.

I clip my console to my left hip (like hogarthian except its a console) I tried many other things before this but I like it.

My instructor definately talked about streamlining gear and not letting it drag. I'd like to think I would have thought of that on my own just maybe not right away. He didn't get into a particular location for everything just something that may sense and kept the backup second stage close and visible.

IMG_0697.sized.jpg

Wow! Such great information from posters with 0-100 dives! Amazing. Whew! Call PADI, have them read this thread.

I dont use any clips or gadgets but I think I dive very streamlined. I dive with a brigade and after securing my cumberbund I wrap the cinch strap once around my computer SPG console hose then clip it in as intended. All I do is look down and there is all my information and if I need to look closely I can still grab it and move it closer to my face. And not to start any arguments but I think my SS1 keeps me streamlined and I also love breathing off of it when I practice OOA with buddies at the safetly line.

daniel f aleman:
Wow! Such great information from posters with 0-100 dives! Amazing. Whew! Call PADI, have them read this thread.
:sharkattack: :mooner:

My OW class scarcely addressed the issue of stowing gauges or octos and nothing was done to do either in the pool or the cert dives. I learned more about that subject in the first 20 minutes on a dive boat in Playa del Carmen without a word spoken -- the crew just showed me how they wanted me to rig up, and it was all good! :thumb:

I hate danglies. I got my sleek travel BP/W but with crap hanging all over the place, whats the point ? So I got an Air2 and ditched the octo, got a little Suunto clip on compass for my (non wireless) computer strap and then pried the SPG out of the rubber console boot and zip tied it to a brass clip which goes across my chest onto the right D ring on my hog. I simply lower my head a few degrees to check the pressure.

I have rented BC's at two local shops--one for use in my class, the other a week or two after the class before I owned my own gear. Neither of them had octo holders. I don't remember in class if the guage had a clip. Infact, when I rented a reg with the BC, I still don't remember if it had a clip on the guage. As soon as I bought my own gear, before I even got inthe pool with it, I bought a brass clip for the guage and an octo holder. I'm not even concerned about the envrionment at all, I paid hard earned money for this equipment and do NOT want to see it even think about getting all scratched up!

Both stores told me that people took the octo holders, so they stopped putting them on the bc's. I guess if I were the store, I'd not return all of the deposit if the gear came back missing an octo clip and I'd replace the octo clip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom