Why Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of our tanks have nitrox stickers. And Yes, they should be tested before a dive!

As to the op's substantive question, however, the fact is nitrox even at shallow depths where ndl's aren't at issue ( say 10 feet or less) it is refreshing and invigorating, at least to me. The advantage is that a runner would have breathing enriched oxygen gas. Just thought I'd add that boring point to the otherwise entertaining discussion. And by the way, Maniago, how do you know Jerry Garcia or a bit of of him, or his essence, was not in that tank? did you inspect it? Just a thought.
DivemasterDennis

All of our tanks have nitrox stickers. And Yes, they should be tested before a dive!

Finally, someone who spells it correctly. It's not [-]N[/-], it's "n"

How anybody made it through 5 episodes of that I have no clue. I have been a big fan of the Oak Island Enigma since the 1960's. This TV show is just abysmal.

I'm a big fan of DandyDon!

Aren't we all?

DD smartly espouses personal CO detectors, not O2 meters (which are everywhere). Okay, and he likes pony tanks, too. Little Ponies.

Unless you're saying that was him doing the diving on the TV Show, in which case we can expect a "what I learned from that" post, momentarily.

As to the op's substantive question, however, the fact is nitrox even at shallow depths where ndl's aren't at issue ( say 10 feet or less) it is refreshing and invigorating, at least to me. The advantage is that a runner would have breathing enriched oxygen gas. Just thought I'd add that boring point to the otherwise entertaining discussion. And by the way, Maniago, how do you know Jerry Garcia or a bit of of him, or his essence, was not in that tank? did you inspect it? Just a thought.
DivemasterDennis

That was my basic question - thanks for answering. Although, I must say, I always enjoy the typical banter that goes on here on SB.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 10:42 AM ----------

How anybody made it through 5 episodes of that I have no clue. I have been a big fan of the Oak Island Enigma since the 1960's. This TV show is just abysmal.

Aren't we all?

DD smartly espouses personal CO detectors, not O2 meters (which are everywhere). Okay, and pony tanks, too.

Unless you're saying that was him doing the diving on the TV Show, in which case we can expect a "what I learned from that" post, momentarily.

I am a glutton for punishment after watching all 5 episodes. I also confess to watching 5 seasons of "Gold Rush" in which Todd Hoffman has yet to find any significant amount of gold. As an engineering student, I do enjoy watching the buffoons attempting to operate heavy machinery in the execution of poor planning while nearly killing someone on every episode.

Don't get me started on Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice!

for anyone particularly bored you can see the episode here:

The Curse of Oak Island: The Find Full Episode - The Curse of Oak Island - HISTORY.com

Fast forward to around 21:00 to see the stupid "back roll" - which is basically a guy in dive gear throwing himself in a puddle.

As far as why nitrox, it's possible the diver simply grabbed what was full in his house/shop. Also possible (ad more likely) the director of cinematography or whatever said "hey, that black tank is cool - use that one".

I'm a big fan of DandyDon!

Aren't we all?

DD smartly espouses personal CO detectors, not O2 meters (which are everywhere). Okay, and he likes pony tanks, too. Little Ponies.

Who cares? Go drink a BEER and RELAX. Sorry I meant drink a beer and relax.

Reactions: Doc
for anyone particularly bored you can see the episode here:

The Curse of Oak Island: The Find Full Episode - The Curse of Oak Island - HISTORY.com

Fast forward to around 21:00 to see the stupid "back roll" - which is basically a guy in dive gear throwing himself in a puddle.

As far as why nitrox, it's possible the diver simply grabbed what was full in his house/shop. Also possible (ad more likely) the director of cinematography or whatever said "hey, that black tank is cool - use that one".

Watching that never fails to bring a smile to my face (and a twinge in my back!).

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 10:55 AM ----------

"Who cares? Go drink a BEER and RELAX. Sorry I meant drink a beer and relax."

Best advice I've heard in a long time.

I just watched episode 5 of "The Curse of Oak Island" and they hired a diver to search a swamp. He was using a Nitrox tank and at only one point was he actually "submerged" (tank barely under the surface). Is there any reason Nitrox would be beneficial in this case?

Also, the guy did some type of back roll entry while standing and landed on his tank in about 6 inches of water. He actually did this twice. I'm surprised he didn't break his back.

Saw that episode also.......Yea, he's Nitrox certified & that's all he has in his personal tanks....I see you're a new diver(ie less than 50 dives)----this was a TV show, director wanted to give some 'action' in some of the scenes---so, don't go by things you see on TV, go by your training skills...:)...you can do backrolls in 6 inches of water after dive 1500 ie takes lotsa experience to try that one.....

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 11:57 AM ----------

Even the regular air ones???.....:)

kr,

A nitrox sticker basically just means that the tank has been used for nitrox and may contain nitrox. I have one tank now and it has a nitrox sticker on it. It's up to me to know exactly what's in it. You don't peal the label off just because you have an air fill. This kind of confused me before I was nitrox certified too. An oxygen clean sticker is a different deal.

A Nitrox sticker on a tank only means that the tank has been O2 cleaned and the tank valve has been installed with an O2 compliant O ring and with O2 compatible grease. Thats all that it means. I can then use any variation of O2 levels in this tank safely without the fear of combustion due to the chemicals or parts used on this tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom