Why no more crotch strap on wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks man!
I suppose I'm an authentic 70s diver, have used the gear in various iterations regularly since

It's a fairdinkum SHARKSIN NEOPRENE suit, not the fluffy stuff of today that stole the name

View attachment 820230

You put it on and breathe from it what's the difference

see the grey box in the corner it's a Russian rebreather

You put it on and breathe from it what's the difference
yesterday i was watching a video with Alec
Pierce on vintage scuba gear let me find it.

It's a fairdinkum SHARKSIN NEOPRENE suit, not the fluffy stuff of today that stole the name

I'm familiar with fair dinkum, but not sharksin. Is that when you have an inappropriate relationship with a dangerous fish in a gray suit?

I still see a fair number of two piece wet suits for sale. They're good for rental use when people need to mis-match sizes to get a good fit. However, most either have a beaver tail or form sort of a jacket/shorts combination when zipped up.

Below is a link to a US manufacturer that is still making beaver tail wet suits. I think all of their suits are custom.

JMJ Wetsuits

In addition, 7till8 also makes two-piece suits but without the beaver tail. 7till8 only uses Yamamoto neoprene and you get free repairs for the life of the suit. I have not bought the two-piece suit but I do have their jacket and their fullsuit. No issue with bottom of jacket rolling up... but they only do custom suits so that could be the reason.

7till8

Mine's in the shop at the moment getting an orange lining so I can wear it inside out and be seen by helicopters

View attachment 820223

and a long john made bbbrrrrrrrrrr

I really can't feel people using old gear wearing current suits

You should change your handle on SB to "PINK-diver"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense but if I get one that fits my bottom half, I can't breath because the top half is to tight or I'm being choked. Right now, I'm using a Farmer John bottom half with a step in shorty top half. I wear a shorty vest under the top and that's where the problem is. It bunches up. I guess I'll have to take some glue and neoprene and make my own Beaver Tail. Thanks for cluing me in to what it was called.
They do make long sleeve zippered tops with shorts instead of beavertails that you can pair with the Farmer John. This one comes in 3, 5 and 7mm.

A635MF_01_sm-600x824.jpg

Take a look at the Cressi Medas, or Mares dual, guess is what your looking for

They do make long sleeve zippered tops with shorts instead of beavertails that you can pair with the Farmer John. This one comes in 3, 5 and 7mm.

A635MF_01_sm-600x824.jpg
That's what I have now and it works fine but I wear a vest under it and that's what bunches up. I have a weird body shape so I have to wear different sizes top and bottom to make it all work. I'm just going to glue on a Beaver Tail.

Back
Top Bottom