Why not tropical dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In tropical climes I would also leave off the hood entirely. If you want one, try one of those 1mil beanines. Without the head cover you should stay much cooler. I wear a 1mil beanie in 80F water with my shorty and my head doesn't overheat but it does warm me up a bit. I shave my head so I do it to prevent sunburns from surface swims.

If the sweats are too hot, try workout pants that are thinner.

Got a trilam? Just do it. If I had tropical waters to dive in I would dive dry. As someone said earlier, tshirt and shorts, or maybe get some of those nylon/shell track pants with no insulation in them and wear them.

So, technically speaking - what is the difference between a tropical dry suit and a regular one? From what people have written above I've gotten two things: they are more breathable (but if they do in fact keep you dry then what difference does that make) and they might not have foot pockets.

Is that it?

This is a good question. I have a tri-lam and I have wondered if I could have gone with the lighter more tropical type suit for temps. down to say 50F. The tri-lam is stiff and not super comfortable. I see no reason why a tropical suit would not work for cooler waters, afterall the shell just keeps you dry, it's what you wear under it that keeps you warm.............right?

WVDiver:
afterall the shell just keeps you dry, it's what you wear under it that keeps you warm.............right?
Right

The tropical drysuits don't have feet attached so you have to deal with another set of seals - these on your ankles.
I looked at the White's tropical drysuit when they first introduced it. On a trip on a liveaboard, dealing with an extra set of seals seems like trouble waiting to happen if they tear, plus you still have to deal with booties. I think it's just easier to have a soft boot attached to a thin drysuit.

zboss:
So, technically speaking - what is the difference between a tropical dry suit and a regular one? From what people have written above I've gotten two things: they are more breathable (but if they do in fact keep you dry then what difference does that make) and they might not have foot pockets.

Is that it?

I'd rather have my feet dry than wet in the cold water but that's up to you. Having exposed feet in tropical water shouldn't make you any cooler but it will let you use tropical fins. Other than that, I'd say the only difference is how thick the suit is. Some dry suits are thick and others are just a thin nylon fabric shell. When you are on shore or the boat, the thinner one will be less of a problem with overheating. If the suit is thick, you could always leave it down until you are ready to go. If you go that route, self donning will be a big help so you don't slow down your buddy or have two people blocking the way on a boat. Once in the water, it's the undergarment, the air in the suit and the hood that are doing most of the thermal work.

I've been in 85 degree water with my DR 905 shell suit. I've been in warmer water with my dry suit in the Bahamas.

I wore tshirts and shorts and was comfy. Many of the other divers were pretty chilled after a week of constant diving. I was comfy.

I've seen suits with ankle seals, but they have been for kayaking. I am not sure what advantage a dedicated tropical suit would have?

You're fellow divers will look at you funny, but you will be dry!

Peter

A shell suit essentially gives no insulation so by wearing appropriate under cloths it tailors nice to any water temp. I've done lots of diving in hot weather and war or cold water. Hot weather and warm water is easy because you can leave out the heavy underclothes and be comfortable on the surface and at depth. I find the biggest challenge is staying comfortable when the weather is hot and the water is cold (that's what we have around here in the summer), in which case you have no choice but to roast yourself on the surface.

If I need a suit, It's almost always going to be a dry suit.

I've worn my 2.5mm crushed neoprene Northern Diver in the carribean sans undergarments, just t-shirt and shorts. No hood, no gloves, it wasn't even like drysuit diving. It was fine in the ocean and in the 68 degree springs and caverns too. Then I just throw on the UG (and hood/gloves) when I dive cold water.

Back
Top Bottom