Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill22

i know, pg is the gate to diving in the phils. but this spring you could really see the difference. tons of american dive clubs and groups.

thanks god not all destinations are reached that easy in the philippines :)

Business keeps things going.........send more Kanos!!! ....make sure they bring pera!!! :D

bill22

i know, pg is the gate to diving in the phils. but this spring you could really see the difference. tons of american dive clubs and groups.

thanks god not all destinations are reached that easy in the philippines :)

Brings up an interesting point... Many people think that one part of the solution to saving reefs, marine life, etc is the development of tourism....

People have to feed their families. Working in the dive industry as a guide, boatman, etc... is better than dynamite fishing for a living and more sustainable. There is also the trickle down effect for people who are employed by resorts, restaurants, etc.... On the other hand, these different destinations can only handle so many divers before you start bumping into each other :wink: Where does one draw the line and how is that problem managed?

Often the better diving does tend to be in places that are more isolated and therefore more difficult to get too.

Brings up an interesting point... Many people think that one part of the solution to saving reefs, marine life, etc is the development of tourism....

People have to feed their families. Working in the dive industry as a guide, boatman, etc... is better than dynamite fishing for a living and more sustainable. There is also the trickle down effect for people who are employed by resorts, restaurants, etc.... On the other hand, these different destinations can only handle so many divers before you start bumping into each other :wink: Where does one draw the line and how is that problem managed?

There's also the annoying corollary to the trickle-down effect, where subsistence farmers and workers not directly employed by the dive / tourism industry find themselves unable to buy what you and I would consider staples; soap and washing powder for example.

A 15 minute (no, **** it, try 10 minute) drive out of Sabang Bay and into the hinterlands of Mindoro will prove my point. Most people are visibly worse off than when I first travelled there, over 25 years ago.

I have no answers, I'll admit it.:depressed:

There's also the annoying corollary to the trickle-down effect, where subsistence farmers and workers not directly employed by the dive / tourism industry find themselves unable to buy what you and I would consider staples; soap and washing powder for example.

A 15 minute (no, **** it, try 10 minute) drive out of Sabang Bay and into the hinterlands of Mindoro will prove my point. Most people are visibly worse off than when I first travelled there, over 25 years ago.

I have no answers, I'll admit it.:depressed:

I've only been traveling to the Philippines for the last 3 years so I don't have the experience that you do. No doubt that it's a sad and complicated situation. I suspect that an increase in prices though has other influential factors that have nothing to do with the dive industry.

It seems to me that without the dive industry overfishing and dynamiting would have continued which overall would have left everyone worse off in the long run. I still remember only a few years ago while diving at Malapascua that we could hear dynamiting off in the distance. Without the dive industry, the world-class diving that we've experienced at PG IMHO would probably not exist today. Not only there but in many other parts of the Philippines as well.

Unfortunately, dive tourism is only part of the solution for the problems in the Philippines.

I realize that this is an old thread. I certainly have not read all 69 pages of the thread but I'd like to offer some of my observations as I have researched trips to the Philippines. I have also attended the scuba convention in Long Beach, California for the past few years and have amassed a small collection of brochures. Most of my information I have gleaned from Scubaboard. So here goes:

(1) The travel times to the Philippines (and the South Pacific in general) are long. Many Americans don't have much vacation time from their employers. When you combine the long travel times with short vacation time allotments, the South Pacific is less appealing.

(2) The shortest travel time to the Philippines is often Philippine Airlines. Out of Los Angeles, the flight stops in Guam before going to Manila which lengthens the trip a bit. Philippine Airlines is definitely the least expensive way to go, but they aren't on any of the major airline alliances so receiving or using mileage points is not an option on Philippine Airlines. Philippine Airlines is also listed by the US as being non-compliant as far as the ICAO standard. While that is not a deterrent for me, it may deter others.

(3) When I look at resorts, I want to be able to get an instant confirmation. Many web sites have forms to fill out and you have to wait a day or two to get a response - assuming someone on the other end is actually reading the e-mails.

(4) Some of the resorts that appeal to me do not accept credit cards. I have to either bring cash or go to an ATM and withdraw money. So, I risk getting my cash stolen or encountering an ATM that is either broken or out of funds. And, as a side note, their web sites often do not say what forms of payment they accept.

(5) For the resorts that accept credit cards, some tack on a hefty surcharge (6% or more). In the US that is no longer generally practiced. In fact, it's discouraged if not prohibited by the Mastercard and Visa operating rules. Most Americans are used to paying the same price, cash or credit. Merchants typically factor that into their cost of business.

(6) It isn't clear how to get between locations. For example, if I want to from Dumaguete to Bohol, I have heard about the Oceanjet ferry. The schedule doesn't work on the web site so I have to resort to e-mails and calls.

I hope this doesn't come across as mean-spirited. There are, however, a variety of factors (some of which have nothing to do with the Philippines specifically) that come into play here.

Thanks!

I would have to agree with Jlevine completely. I just spent a month in the Philpinnes. Being that it was my first time making arrangements States side is a monumental effort of time and emails. I had a travel agent who arranged my private trasportation and hotels, but I had the call or email the individual dive shops I found online that I felt confident about. It took me about 6 months of research off and on, learning how to get to one location to the next. Just a short picture of my itenarary.

I went from San Francisco to Manila, Manila to Batangas, Batangas to Puerto Gallera, Back to Manila, Flight to Cebu, Cebu to Malapscua, Malapascua to Moalboal, Moalboal to Cebu, Cebu to Bohol. That invloved so many boats, planes, and private cars. If you don't know what you are doing. you will get lost. And I had a friend who I could consult who had been there.

The money issue is a whole problem in itself. I had to bank to bank wire my funds to my agent who was in the Philpinnes, which American banks charge a fee. Then I had to pay the scuba shops when i got there becuase I didn't want to wire each individual shop the money because of the fees. No hotel or dive shops (except Marriott hotel) took credit card online or over the phone. So for the casual tourist Scuba diver, it can be a real ordeal to arrange stay in the philpinnes. But when its done right its well worth it. I loved it there and will cherish the journey.

All good points. I was fortunate in that I discovered scubaboard and got lots of good advice here :) I generally took close to 3 weeks when I came on my trips wanting to maximize my diving.

I also structured my trips to minimize travel time while there between dive destinations. My second trip was a Cebu trip. I dived Malapascua and Moalboal. The third Anilao and Puerto Galera. The fourth I visited the most dive destinations, but they were all Palawan except Tubbataha which is reached from Puerto Princesa. That one I did Puerto Princesa, Tubbataha, El Nido, and Coron. My last trip was a Visayas trip diving Dauin, Bohol, and Southern Leyte.

If I were coming from the US and only had two weeks (what most people get for vacation), I would probably restrict myself to no more than two destinations and would want them fairly close together to cut down on time used for travel.

It is a very long way to come, but worth it in my opinion :)

I guess I'm lucky in that next time I come (October/November 2011 time frame is the tentative plan at the moment), I'll likely be staying at least 4-6 weeks :)

I would have to agree with Jlevine completely. I just spent a month in the Philpinnes. Being that it was my first time making arrangements States side is a monumental effort of time and emails. I had a travel agent who arranged my private trasportation and hotels, but I had the call or email the individual dive shops I found online that I felt confident about. It took me about 6 months of research off and on, learning how to get to one location to the next. Just a short picture of my itenarary.

I went from San Francisco to Manila, Manila to Batangas, Batangas to Puerto Gallera, Back to Manila, Flight to Cebu, Cebu to Malapscua, Malapascua to Moalboal, Moalboal to Cebu, Cebu to Bohol. That invloved so many boats, planes, and private cars. If you don't know what you are doing. you will get lost. And I had a friend who I could consult who had been there.

The money issue is a whole problem in itself. I had to bank to bank wire my funds to my agent who was in the Philpinnes, which American banks charge a fee. Then I had to pay the scuba shops when i got there becuase I didn't want to wire each individual shop the money because of the fees. No hotel or dive shops (except Marriott hotel) took credit card online or over the phone. So for the casual tourist Scuba diver, it can be a real ordeal to arrange stay in the philpinnes. But when its done right its well worth it. I loved it there and will cherish the journey.

This is an interesting discussion. This brings greater meaning to "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT".

Planes, boats, vans/cars is just a matter-of-fact for any island nation. We have 7,107 islands (at low tide) and no interstate highway system like the US or Europe. Part of the fun is the journey. Getting lost is the dive operators challenge to resolve. So, part of the criteria for selecting a destination is the operators ability to get you there......n'est pa? The National Highway System in the Philippines is good and getting better. Most prefer airplanes though.
The money issue is a common challenge for many operators and travelers. If you are fortunate to go somewhere there are ATM's then it is much easier. Through some coordination with the operator most all expenses can be paid in advance (PayPal, VISA, etc.) to avoid the "carry cash issue". A way to beat the money gig is to have a Western Union account online and wire yourself your own money. This is a common technique for moving cash. The fees are a bit for some but they are worth the security if you feel the need. Many of our friends use the many online systems to get money while traveling the Philippines. As for credit cards, the "additional fee" is just not a good practise. Ask ahead of time.

Certainly the PI is getting a lot more attention these days from SoCal divers. Flights are easier to get (and shorter/cheaper) out of LA than from the Midwest or East Coast.

is that you babyd? or did your wife answer this for you?

i don't detect the slightest bit cantankerous-ness or impatience or other traits that make you so endearing (hehehe)

either that or you just got in from a great dive or got some afternoon nookie from the missus... or both...

But I like the new babyd... hahahahaha!

Jag

Back
Top Bottom