Why SR-1 over Maximus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took my new SR1 to 65' in 49 degree water yesterday. HOLY SH.. batman, That thing will pump the air down your throat. Guess Scuba Magazine will have to add one more to the muscle reg list! :D

I asked our Sherwood sales manager this very question today. The SR1 is enviromentally sealed and is designed to perform as well, if not better than the Maximus in cold water.

This is somewhat true...The SR1 will breath better, but its not as good in cold water. Sorry to say, but your rep is wrong or misquoted. Its not rated for colder temps or ice diving like the Maximus is! This is very IMPORTANT to not get confused!! It has been used down to 37 degrees from what our rep says, but not from the most reliable source. I had my SR1 down to 42 degrees in 67ft of water with no issues...but again its not cold water rated!! It is environmentally sealed, and the first stage icing wouldnt be the problem, its the second stage not having the teflon coating that would make this a reg you DO NOT want to take ice diving or extremely cold water diving...at least at this point. They might be coming out with a retro-fit kit to make it ice friendly, like the Genesis GS2000, but as of right now, there is no word on that.

That being said, I have one and I love it!!! It breathes incredibly great at all depths that I have tested it at so far and I havent had any issues with it. I upgraded from my Sherwood Blizzard to this(keeping blizzard for Ice) and Im extremely happy with my decision

Jimmy,
Atomic Aquatics does not produce any other manufactires products or parts. We at Atomic Aqautics produce our own regulators at Atomic R & D in California.

Hope this clears up any confusion in the industry
Chad Barbay
Atomic SE Sales Manager

This is somewhat true...The SR1 will breath better, but its not as good in cold water. Sorry to say, but your rep is wrong or misquoted. Its not rated for colder temps or ice diving like the Maximus is! This is very IMPORTANT to not get confused!! It has been used down to 37 degrees from what our rep says, but not from the most reliable source. I had my SR1 down to 42 degrees in 67ft of water with no issues...but again its not cold water rated!! It is environmentally sealed, and the first stage icing wouldnt be the problem, its the second stage not having the teflon coating that would make this a reg you DO NOT want to take ice diving or extremely cold water diving...at least at this point. They might be coming out with a retro-fit kit to make it ice friendly, like the Genesis GS2000, but as of right now, there is no word on that.

That being said, I have one and I love it!!! It breathes incredibly great at all depths that I have tested it at so far and I havent had any issues with it. I upgraded from my Sherwood Blizzard to this(keeping blizzard for Ice) and Im extremely happy with my decision

I know the SR1 has been in 32 degree water in Lake Superior and performed great(wisdom 2 button froze on the dive). That is what i was told by the diver that went down with it. As for the retro fit kit for the gs2000, not to sure that is needed also as that reg is regularly dove here in Lake Superior and none have been retro fitted with the cold water kit. I wish we could see temps of 42 here at this time of year but maybe at the end of May. Till then, the SR1 will be going into a couple more times in 35 plus degree water and maybe I can give a better response for its performance at that point.

Cant wait to hear how cold you can take it. Our rep said he heard someone took it to 34 degrees, but he wouldnt as its not rated for that....As for the GS2000, I wouldnt take it ice diving without the teflon cold water kit on the second stage. For $20 its not worth the risk in my opinion :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom