Why taking Rescue Diver was worth every penny...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingPrincessE, dont stress over the rescue training. Its serious FUN.... As always in scubadiving, its STOP, THINK and ACT... I had a blast doing my rescue in open water not pool.... Had a serious instructor but fun.... So do it with an instructor you are comfortable with....

I agree. I was very nervous about taking Rescue, I didn't have as much confidence as I should have had by then (I think I had about 100 dives.) But during the course, I discovered I was a much better diver, much more observant, and capable of handling the situations thrown at me. It was a huge confidence builder for me and others in the class (all but one guy who was oblivious to the whole process, not a good multi-tasker, and yet the instructor still passed him). I learned alot in the course, not necessarily from the instructor.

robin:D

I happen to like the Airsource when I'm using my "integrated" BC (as opposed to my BP/W). I like the simplification of gear.

That said, your take away from this to get rid of the Airsource is, I think, the wrong take away. The problem wasn't that you donated a working reg (the one in your mouth) but that another (useless?) bit of gear screwed you up.

First point to make: I agree that this is the wrong thing to take away from the experience, however, it can be an enlightening revelation, as well (revealing the fact that an integrated air source might not be right for you long term). It's always best to use gear that you can be comfortable with and efficient.

I know a bit off-topic but I thought I'd answer on this one. When purchasing my BC I got the integrated airsource because I thought it was a simplification of gear (I purchased full gear right after OW). Then, during rescue I ended up having to use it a few times in the ocean and pool. I hated that thing. No matter how much I practiced, it was always not located where my instincts wanted it to be. When I finally found it, it was hard to get into my mouth. The "pull" on the tube was strong enough that it often came out of my mouth or was otherwise hard to keep in my mouth and twice, when practicing on a normal leizure dive for those "just-in-case" moments, I found that either a) I didn't adequately connect the LP hose (nothing worse then breathing in on it when the hose disconnects) or 2) some equipment was faulty.

In the LA ADP program, once you learn rescue (like week 6 of 10), every dive after that is a prime candidate for the safety divers, dive masters, or instructors to pull a panicked diver, unresponsive diver, or whatever at depth by surprise. There were usually a minimum two dives a weekend if not more (pool or ocean). And before ocean dives, there was a fair amount of skin diving and lots of surface swimming.

I ditched the integrated airsource and went octo and never regretted the decision. Further, I ditched the BC and went BP/W and am glad I did (I lost so much weight in ADP that my BC popped off on me over my head one night when I went vertical and stretched my arms up to reach for a fish -- at 50" - only the reg in my mouth kept it from surfacing -- and I started ADP with that thing so tight I almost couldn't breath). Incidentally, that was the same dive that just moments after my brand new Cobra 2 dive computer died at 50" and my only compass (digital) also went out with it -- on the first dive.

Different strokes for different folks, but I learned that if I'm going to manage a rescue, I wanted comfortable primary gear, and the integrated air source was truly annoying me in ways that I can't begin to express. I always used in my training classes what I will use in my own dives except OW rentals.

My wife on the other hand, won't be found without her integrated air source and hates the octo.

Thanks,
Shawn

I did rescue 2 years ago. It was great. But, this discussion reminds me that it would be a good idea to do a refresher.

Good story. I am not a fan of the snorkel. I had issues with mine during my rescue class also. I was excited when I found a snorkel(Oceanic) that rolls up to fit in your BC pocket. If and when I need it I can just unroll and attach it to my mask.

Ya know snorkels are kinda nice doing surf entries/exits. Other than that i really agree with what TS&M said about how valuable the experience of getting through a minor... or major... "event" will be down the road.

Why not just have your reg in for a surf entry/exit? You are not going to burn that much air on your entry (if you are in the surf zone that long you probably shouldn't dive)....

I have read these posts with great interest and until now I never considered NOT taking a snorkel with me on every dive right there on my mask. Amazing how PADI and my instructor burned that into my brain. I am rethinking using my snorkel on my dives coming up in FL in two weeks. I dove once with a borrowed BC w integrated air and quickly decided that it wasn't for me and immediately got my OCTO back the next day. Much happier. I just bought my first Spare Air and it should be arriving any day as I'm not sure who my buddy may be in FL as I am begging someone to go with me right now. Never thought it would be so tough to find a buddy with free boat, gas, drink etc... My last open water checkout dive years ago I had my reg kicked from my mouth and it seeminly blasted away from me under high pressure propulsion at about 45 feet. I couldn't immediately find my primary or backup (my instructor watching all the time and heading toward me quickly) but didn't panic and reached around and eventually found it. It probably took all of 8 seconds but that seemed like 10 minutes. I have my back up bungeed as mentioned many times above ever since.

Back
Top Bottom