Will it be a good time to dive in Nusa Lembongan in last week of Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icebabe

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be spending Christmas in Nusa Lembongan. So, I am wondering if any of you have any experience of diving in Nusa Lembongan on the last week of Dec? How's the weather and sea condition like?

Thanks.

We spent a week at the end of December 2013 and it rained a lot. I don't think we ever saw the sun and there were some days when it rained all day. It was very choppy...we did make it to manta point and saw a mantra briefly but the vis and currents were not pleasant.

Mabry we were just unlucky...

We spent a week at the end of December 2013 and it rained a lot. I don't think we ever saw the sun and there were some days when it rained all day. It was very choppy...we did make it to manta point and saw a mantra briefly but the vis and currents were not pleasant.

Mabry we were just unlucky...

That same year we came in Jan and it was raining a bit on the mainland, but the weather over Lembongan was clear with some wind. The seas were a bit choppy at times. In Tulamben that year we were protected by the rain shadow of the volcano. The Gillis were also mostly clear but you could see some rain on Lombock.

It's the weather it varies, sometimes you win some times you loose. It took me to long to travel to Bali because the time of year I can is "the rainy season". I've always lucked out and never had a solid week of rain like Tippy has. Tippy maybe Gurnsey just follows you around sometimes.

Most likely you will have some rain and sloppy ocean. Still, you can have a fun trip, just remember it is low season for a reason. Getting out past Crystal Bay to the manta spots can be problematic so be patient and take what mother nature gives you. I have been on Lembongan during New Years week and had a great time, but it is what it is.

I'll rather be in Raja Ampat during that time, less rain. I spent last Christmas & New Year there & had one of the best diving trips.

Good luck to guys predicting the weather for end of December this year... This year is totally different to any in the past!

2 quick facts:
-We had more precipitations during Dry Season's August than during the entire 6 months of rain season last year in East Bali
-Last week has displayed characteristics of rain season everyday. Will it stay this way til December? Anyone who pretends to know is a liar!

Just plan your holidays as best as you can and hope for the best...

Sorong
image.gif

Denpasar
image.gif

Can't predict the weather. This year we have El Niño? Last year we have La Niña? Or vice-versa. Who knows next year. But we can always look back to the past. The past does not lie. For December, the average rainfall in Sorong is less than in Denpasar, as shown by the graphs, above.

Weather Forecast and Climate Averages for Denpasar, Bali
Weather Forecast and Climate Averages for Sorong, Indonesia

Last edited:
we spent 5 days in lembongan end of December 2012; was not raining at all during our stay but had torrential raining once we moved to the main land.
don't know for this year, more unpredictable, heard still raining in many places in java, landslide and flooding in several place

we'll be visiting Bali second week of December this year

Denpasar
View attachment 382330

Can't predict the weather. This year we have El Niño? Last year we have La Niña? Or vice-versa. Who knows next year. But we can always look back to the past. The past does not lie. For December, the average rainfall in Sorong is less than in Denpasar, as shown by the graphs, above.

Weather Forecast and Climate Averages for Denpasar, Bali
Weather Forecast and Climate Averages for Sorong, Indonesia

Can't talk for Sorong as I'm not based there. For Bali, this table is completely off this year. As previously explained, we've had more rain in August 2016 that the entire precipitation recorded from October 2015 to January 2016. Highly unusual indeed.

Back
Top Bottom