Wing size for 5mm wetsuit aluminum 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

18 lbs should be plenty. Do you plan on having a wing for every occasion or is this typically the type of diving you do?

While I agree that 18 pounds is correct, I have to echo this question.

In my own diving, I find myself in a wide variety of situations. In the last year I have worn a 3mm suit, a 5mm suit, and a dry suit with a wide variety of undergarments for different temperatures. I used an aluminum backplate and a steel backplate. I carried single AL 80s, single steel LP 85s, single steel HP 100s, double AL 80s, double steel LP 104s, and double steel LP 108s.

Not being independently wealthy, I can't afford to have a different wing for every occasion. Thus, on many dives I wear a wing that has more lift than I need. The only time I had any real issues was when I was diving in caves in Mexico with AL 80 doubles and a 58 pound wing, in which case I had some minor difficulty dumping air and was happy to borrow a smaller wing for subsequent dives.

While I agree that 18 pounds is correct, I have to echo this question.

In my own diving, I find myself in a wide variety of situations. In the last year I have worn a 3mm suit, a 5mm suit, and a dry suit with a wide variety of undergarments for different temperatures. I used an aluminum backplate and a steel backplate. I carried single AL 80s, single steel LP 85s, single steel HP 100s, double AL 80s, double steel LP 104s, and double steel LP 108s.

Not being independently wealthy, I can't afford to have a different wing for every occasion. Thus, on many dives I wear a wing that has more lift than I need. The only time I had any real issues was when I was diving in caves in Mexico with AL 80 doubles and a 58 pound wing, in which case I had some minor difficulty dumping air and was happy to borrow a smaller wing for subsequent dives.

John,

You are also a very experienced and skilled diver. You can probably make almost anything work ok. Newer divers OTOH are often the group that benefits the most from gear that's easier to use.

My typical customer dives cold water at home and vacations in warmer locations. I frequently end up recommending one wing for both. If one carefully selects the cold water wing there is every chance it will be OK in warm water too. Of course that requires reliable information about the buoyancy of the cold water suit.

Having said that if somebody asks what's best for thin suits and aluminum 80's I'm not going to recommend a wing far larger than the application requires.

Tobin

My typical customer dives cold water at home and vacations in warmer locations. I frequently end up recommending one wing for both. If one carefully selects the cold water wing there is every chance it will be OK in warm water too. Of course that requires reliable information about the buoyancy of the cold water suit.

Having said that if somebody asks what's best for thin suits and aluminum 80's I'm not going to recommend a wing far larger than the application requires.

I agree with both those points.

Thank You for the great info.
I've weighted my backplate + harness + cam straps with ss buckles + smb = 4.5 lb. My reg + spg = 4lb. Will the 18lb wing still be ok for this?

Thanks

Thank You for the great info.
I've weighted my backplate + harness + cam straps with ss buckles + smb = 4.5 lb. My reg + spg = 4lb. Will the 18lb wing still be ok for this?

Thanks

Required ballast is a function of:

1) the buoyancy of the cylinder used

2) The buoyancy of the diver's exposure suit

3) The inherent buoyancy of the diver (typically the least important unless the diver is truly obese.

How buoyant is your suit?

Tobin

My suit is 5mm - not sure how buoyant it is - 8lb, 10lb?

Should I buy a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup truck?

How heavy is the load you need to move?

I have no idea, but I want *you* to pick out the truck that's right for me.

Er, ah, well, how exactly?

Remember ballast requirements and lift capacity is largely a function of exposure buoyancy.

Test your suit!

Tobin

I have no idea, but I want *you* to pick out the truck that's right for me.

He said he has a full 5mm wetsuit.

I would bet a dollar that you can remember the least amount of buoyancy you've ever seen from an adult sized 5mm full wetsuit. And that you can remember the most buoyancy you've ever seen from an adult sized 5mm full wetsuit. And you probably even have an idea in your head of what the most common amount of buoyancy you've seen for an adult sized 5mm full wetsuit.

If you give the guy answers based on that data, it might actually be helpful to him. Maybe. Really, only he can make that decision (of whether it's useful to him). In his shoes, I think I would find it helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom