Wings Vs. BCD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Royko

New
Reaction score
What is the difference between Wings/ harness and BCD? Which is a better long term investment? Can I use wings for recreational diving?

Depends on the type of diving you want to do, depends, and yes, respectively.

Main attraction for wings/harness is it allows you to use double tanks, and in my opinion, it distributes the weight a little better and gives you more freedom of movement.

Pros - you use less lead when diving, can accomodate double tank setups, distributes weight better. more streamlined. most have a 'crotch strap' ring so you can clip to a scooter. once properly adjusted, it doesn't shift or move when you roll or turn underwater. DIR guys love 'em.

Drawbacks - no pockets, so weight pockets may be necessary. it's certainly a heavier setup than a bcd (when using a steel backplate). people look at you funny when you setup. If you let it dry in direct sunlight it turns into a george forman grill.

If you ever want to go tech or use doubles, then I would say that a bp/w is the better long term investment since it can accomodate recreational as well as technical diving setups.

D.

Hi Royko,

A bp/w is a bcd but it's a back inflate bcd. It's a more modular system where you can mount all kinds of equipment for different conditions/needs and requirements. And of course you can use it for rec diving.

Before you even contemplate getting a bc, you might want to ask youself some questions:

1. Cold or warm water dives
2. Travel to dive or local dives
3. Any plans for technical, DIR or more advance courses
4. What is the level of diving experience and what types of bc have you tried and have you used a back inflate b4

If you answer yes to q3. Then a bp/w it is, no question.
If you want a system that you can use as you advance to twins etc then it's bp/w
If you dive once or twice a year then rent.

If you have a leak, no need to replace the whole bc, just the wing or in the case of a dual bladder, just the inner bladder or you can patch it if it isn't too bad.
As for long term investments... bp/w no question.

Daylonious has pointed out most of the pros/cons of the bp/w. Personally I never got a regular bcd... hated my rented bcd during my certification, got a bp/w and never looked back.

SangP

Welcome to the board Roy.

You have just ask the most debated question on this board. A search will turn up hours of reading. I will just all a little to what D has above. I tried a BP after several years of diving in a back inflate BC and was expecting a huge difference based on the glowing post on this board. What I found was it was not much different than a properly trimmed back inflate BC in terms of performance. I did find it somewhat uncomfortable on land and it's a real pain to adjust. Many of the "benefits" of a BP are over stated. It being more streamlined than other BC's to my knowledge has never actually been tested. I noticed no difference in the one I tried.
Another so called benefit is the wings are replaceable/interchangeable and you can replace the harness when it wears out. All true but any quality BC is darn near impossible to wear out in normal use. Interchangeable wings are nice but at the cost of the wings you can almost buy a light weight BC for travel. This is esp true if you also need/want a lighter BP as well. There is a reason many BP owners have 2 or more BPs.
Bottom-line, it's a fine BC and if you like them great. If tried them and was not impressed. For the warm water rec diving I do I much prefer a light weight back inflate BC but if I were going to do tech diving or dive doubles a BP would be what I would choose. My best advice it to try one and make up your own mind.

Hi,
Wings Harness and Back plate is it allows you to use double tanks, some come with single tank wing and adapter or double tank wings.
Recreation and technical diving have different wing and bladder.
BCD for recreational dive, Wing, harness and plate more optional suitable technical diving.

Cheer
Jason

Hi,
Wings Harness and Back plate is it allows you to use double tanks, some come with single tank wing and adapter or double tank wings.
Recreation and technical diving have different wing and bladder.
BCD for recreational dive, Wing, harness and plate more optional suitable technical diving.

Cheer
Jason

I bought a conventional BCD right out of OW. It's been 10 dives and I'm already in the market for a BP/W setup... skip the step... It's obvious to me now "There are divers who dive BP/W and there are Divers who should"

That's like asking if you prefer a Spaniel to a dog. A Spaniel is a type of dog. Wings are a type of BC.

Jason Ooi:

No, the bands allow that and you can use doubles with just about any BC.

Walter:
No, the bands allow that and you can use doubles with just about any BC.

... and I can pull a four horse trailer with a Geo Metro. I'd rather use my 1 ton duallie.

It's all about the right tool for the job... and, IMHO, a standard BC just isn't the right tool for doubles.

Stephen Ash:
... and I can pull a four horse trailer with a Geo Metro.

I'd be very surprised if it could actually do it.

Many of us were diving doubles and even triples long before there were BP/wings. It's not the fact it's a wing that makes a BC appropriate for doubles, but the buoyancy of the tanks and the lift capacity of the BC. There's nothing magical about wings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom