Winter dives worth it?.... Pics: Front Beach, Rockport, MA, Saturday 01/05/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comments everybody! :D

It's a great pastime when so many people can appreciate even the mundane pleasures of local diving! :)

Dave C

Great pics!

I love diving Cape Ann this time of year, easy parking and no crowds.

Beautful shots! Your post has made me anxious to go to back beach. My new (and 1st) drysuit is in and I'm hoping to get out this upcoming weekend. Now I know what to expect this time of year! I just wish the lobsters stuck around!

Your first dives in your new drysuit should be fun, even without the lobsters! Just being warmer will be great!

Got a good set of insulation?

Got yourself prepared for practicing techniques?

One tip: dress well for the gearing up process so you don't lose much body heat prior to the dive.

If it's below 50 degrees out, I put on a snowmobile suit, balaclava, and gloves while I'm getting everything set up. Then a quick change into the undergarments and drysuit.

That will preserve or even generate core heat for the dive. Getting chilled before the dive can really set you back later during the dive.

You've probably seen this week's NOAA marine forecast. It looks pretty favorable until Friday's east winds:

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/an/anz250.txt

If the west winds come back as predicted on Saturday, you'll probably have decent conditions.

Good luck with the new drysuit! :)

Dave C

Your first dives in your new drysuit should be fun, even without the lobsters! Just being warmer will be great!

Got a good set of insulation?

Got yourself prepared for practicing techniques?

One tip: dress well for the gearing up process so you don't lose much body heat prior to the dive.

If it's below 50 degrees out, I put on a snowmobile suit, balaclava, and gloves while I'm getting everything set up. Then a quick change into the undergarments and drysuit.

That will preserve or even generate core heat for the dive. Getting chilled before the dive can really set you back later during the dive.

You've probably seen this week's NOAA marine forecast. It looks pretty favorable until Friday's east winds:

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/an/anz250.txt

If the west winds come back as predicted on Saturday, you'll probably have decent conditions.

Good luck with the new drysuit! :)

Dave C

This is good advice. I just bought my first suit also and look forward to diving year round. Lursxt and I were planning on Front beach this weekend to test the new suits. We are hoping the weather holds through the weekend.

Your pics are great and are inspiring me to invest in some underwater camera gear.
What equipment setup are you using?

Sean B.

This is good advice. I just bought my first suit also and look forward to diving year round. Lursxt and I were planning on Front beach this weekend to test the new suits. We are hoping the weather holds through the weekend.

Your pics are great and are inspiring me to invest in some underwater camera gear.
What equipment setup are you using?

Sean B.

Not sure if I'm going yet, but I'll say hello if I do. Since it's a long ride, I don't make a decision until the last minute. Getting pretty fussy.... :)

I assume you've been to Front Beach before. It's one of my favorites.

I just noticed the forecast is improving slightly since Friday's wind is forecast to be SE now, instead of E, so I think you're going to be in good shape.

I'm getting some decent pics all things considered, thanks, but you should see the one's I culled. :wink:

It's an Olympus 4040 (4mp) in an Ikelite housing, no external strobe yet. Limitations include shutter lag, slow lens/chip, small lcd, macro minimum no closer than 8".

It's my first underwater camera, though, and served me well for 5 years. It's been really nice to have images from my dives. Goes with me on every dive and there's almost always something worth shooting!

You guys will definitely have a memorable experience doing your first drysuit dives together! :D

If you want to take a look at Sandy Bay water temp prior to going:

Rockport, Massachusetts Local Weather Conditions

Enjoy!

Dave C

I have yet to get bitten by the underwater photo bug (though I've been a longtime surface photographer). The Ikelite's always score big on quality so I think that's where my next big expense will be. I know once I get started, the camera will be a permanent fixture on future dives.

Sean

Someone got a nice camere. Nice pictures ...I have been dying to dive the Folly Cove etc...never done it !!!

Thanks, Ed.

What's been keeping you away?

I guess it takes a while to drive there from Groton, especially squeezing past the urban areas. Looks like almost 150 miles, 3 hours for you.

I must admit, driving 125 miles, 2.5 hours, to get to a dive site is about my limit for a day of diving, although I've driven 3 hours on occasion.

Cape Ann's excellent diving can be worth it! :)

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom