Wireless Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I'm very surprised to be hearing about all the problems some people have had with Suunto, these are the first I've heard. Good to know though, as I was seriously considering their products.

I have a Suunto, and it has basically been solid, but yes, I think it is true that they don't have the same reputational reliability for wireless transmitters.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm very surprised to be hearing about all the problems some people have had with Suunto, these are the first I've heard. Good to know though, as I was seriously considering their products.

I would like to repeat, just for clarity, that I am very happy with the Suunto computer - it is only the transmitter/wireless technology that has given me problems. I continue to use the Vtec computer with complete confidence.

I have a total of 4 Oceanic wireless AI computers.
One of them I just acquired so I really can't comment on it more than to say that it's purchase was based on the great experience I've had with my others. They have a feature that allow users to switch to a conservative mode of operation if they feel it is needed. The only issue I'm aware of with the Oceanic wireless AI computers are problems with weak batteries of dirt on the battery contacts.
On the other hand I have friends that dive Suunto computers these computers are more conservative and have no adjustment of the conservativism. I have also witnessed sync problems of users of the Suunto wireless with a greater frequency than I would be happy with.
This is due to the way the Suunto works scanning for a transmitter when turned on instead of having the code programmed into software like the Oceanic.

I use a D9 and sometimes it fails eith the conection to the transmitter but always comes back in a few seconds. Even if you can rely on it I always have an pressure gauge in case of. The batteris last for at least 3 years if you dive 50-100 dives /year

As far as interference goes, some models seem to be susceptible to camera flashes.

There's a new one. Never heard that before, nor can I imagine how/why that would even happen. Any theories?

How many posts have you seen entitled:

"NEED HELP! Went on a dive today with my computer and had no problems! What should I do?"

:eyebrow:

There's more than 100,000 members on ScubaBoard. You've read 15 posts, including THREE from people with first-hand experience of problems. So that would be 0.003% of ScubaBoard members having reported problems here on this thread.

I crew on a dive boat. 18 divers per charter. I see all kinds of computers. I see folks have problems with all of them. The vast majority of those problems are user error. I've not seen anyone complain more about problems with one more than another.

depending on how much diving you do, I recommend changing the batteries at a minimum, once a year.

Great point!

That's the main problem I see folks on the boat having computer troubles...

"Damn, the battery was fine last year and the year before. Now it's dead. What a piece of cr@p!"

Also seen more than one person who "didn't know there was a battery in the transmitter too"

:shocked2:

Batteries are cheap. I change mine out when when the regs get serviced and/or before going on a dive trip.

I have heard that firing a strobe can cause intermittent loss of signal

There's a new one. Never heard that before
I can confirm that this used to happen reliably with my early wireless computers like the US Divers Monitor 3. It hasn't happened to me in a decade though.

nor can I imagine how/why that would even happen. Any theories?
I have no idea why.

Back
Top Bottom