• Portugal (28:1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uruguay (28:1)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In some countries they have started to do this.... The united states is one example and in the UK some suspensions have been given based on video evidence as well...... and surprise, surprise, the number of dives is drastically reduced. In countries where the culture is more aligned to giving diving the benefit of the doubt, the number of dives is much higher.

It's actually just human nature. If you reward someone for a behaviour then they are more likely to display that behaviour than someone who is punished for the same behaviour. Nothing new under the sun here.

To suddenly start doing this at the World Cup, however, is a big step. It's a global tournament and the idea hasn't gotten critical traction yet except in niche countries like the US, that don't really matter in global football.... and where it does matter nobody is stepping up and saying that it's an issue.

The change will be sudden when it does come, though. You can see the effects on bahaviour by comparing the number of fights in olympic hockey as compared to the NHL. One system punishes fighting, one system accepts it as part of the game. The issue of diving in soccer is quite similar to that.

R..

A BBC pundit tagged Chile as the dark horse for this year... looking like a decent call.

They're through but if they win against Holland in the next game then they'll have to face Brazil, who will stomp the guts out of them. Nobody will want to face Brazil in the round of 16. They probably have the strongest team in the tournament at this point.

It may seem odd but we could see a game between Holland and Chili where the objective of both teams is to lose.

R..

They're through but if they win against Holland in the next game then they'll have to face Brazil, who will stomp the guts out of them. Nobody will want to face Brazil in the round of 16. They probably have the strongest team in the tournament at this point.

It may seem odd but we could see a game between Holland and Chili where the objective of both teams is to lose.

R..

I think Brazil are quite likely to go through top of their group, meaning they'd face the loser of the Holland-Chile game in the round of 16. It seems unlikely that they won't win against Cameroon, even though they only need a draw to progress. Mexico will probably beat Croatia, but probably won't catch up to Brazil on goal difference. So I'm guessing we'll see Chile and Holland both playing for a win. Also, Chile looked like a team that'd back themselves to beat Brazil in the round of 16 -- very confident (delusional, but confident).

I just saw this today... The Netherlands didn't make the poll?!?!

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 12:13 PM ----------

R..

I doubt it... 1A plays against 2B If Holland or Chile want to avoid Brazil they want to be 1B not 2B

Well, I have to say - that was about as entertaining a first round of the World Cup as I can ever remember. Probably means we will have a really dully knockout phase...

Brazil and Netherlands look to have the easiest paths to the semis (although don't under estimate Chile...). In the other half, Germany / France and Belgium / Argentina look like potentially mouth watering quarter finals.

Round of 16.png

I just saw this today... The Netherlands didn't make the poll?!?!

I did the poll based on pre-tournament betting odds. Like most betting odds, hindsight is a wonderful way to assess their accuracy! I'd like to have put some money down on Netherlands, but pre-tournament everyone just said how old and slow they were. Not so slow now.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 12:13 PM ----------

I doubt it... 1A plays against 2B If Holland or Chile want to avoid Brazil they want to be 1B not 2B

You are right, but I certainly remember a qualifying tournament a few years ago in Europe where the tables were assessed with results against the lowest team discounted. At the very end of the last qualifying game France worked out that bizarrely they got more points if they lost to their final opponent, so they went and had the goalie throw the ball into their net twice. Not sure in what world that makes sense...

[/COLOR]
You are right, but I certainly remember a qualifying tournament a few years ago in Europe where the tables were assessed with results against the lowest team discounted. At the very end of the last qualifying game France worked out that bizarrely they got more points if they lost to their final opponent, so they went and had the goalie throw the ball into their net twice. Not sure in what world that makes sense...

The round of 16 match up should be based on scoring not this bizarre group alignment. It would insure that the 3rd match of the group round is actually a meaningful game and also ensure that the most dominant teams actually move on.

For example: The Netherlands (9 points) plays Mexico (7 points) while Germany (7 points) plays Algeria (3 points) and Argentina (9 points) plays Switzerland (6 points)

I also think the top 16 teams should advance regardless of what group they are in, (There were much better 4 & 3 points teams than Algeria) but it will never happen.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2014 at 04:55 PM ----------

Well, I have to say - that was about as entertaining a first round of the World Cup as I can ever remember. Probably means we will have a really dully knockout phase...

Brazil and Netherlands look to have the easiest paths to the semis (although don't under estimate Chile...). In the other half, Germany / France and Belgium / Argentina look like potentially mouth watering quarter finals.

View attachment 187416

The first round had some really great games Australia vs The Netherlands was outstanding and the US game against Portugal was fantastic!
I don't think Brazil is playing all that well and Chile is playing great... I wouldn't be surprised if Chile beat Brazil even though I think Brazil will move on.
If Brazil does move on they will likely play Colombia which is loaded with talent and playing very well too. I'm not sure that's an easy path to the semis!

Holland vs Argentina semis is very likely on the other side. Belgium did just enough to qualify in a really weak group.

So The Netherlands just sent Mexico home. Who made the poll not listing the Netherlands. He needs a ban
:acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom