Worst Divers Ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, Pug is certainly not the old guy.

Pug was merely trying to point out to me that this thread is a "put-down thread," and by corrollary that it won't serve any useful purpose.

So far, I suppose he's right... oh, well. It wasn't my intent to put people down when I posted the story, nearsighted as I may be.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
No, Pug is certainly not the old guy.
- Warren
Funny thing is...
I was the old guy...
Not the one you remember...
Nor the one you were telling the story about...
But as I read the story I couldn't help but identify with the old guy!

By the time you guys got through punching him out...
Well.... let's just say I was seeing the story from an entirely different perspective than you!

We have all been *newbies*
We have all been *strokes*
We have all been *sophmores* (look up the Greek roots)
We have all been *proud & defensive*
We have all been *selfish & insensitive*
We have all been *the old guy*
We have all been *the three amigos*

So sometimes we call the shirt green and can't figure out why others are calling it blue.

You can color the Pugster

VERY astute and even discerning... not qualities I see in many people these days.

Some have to be led down the path of discovery kicking and screaming.

Some are naturally drawn to it.

At least one on this board actually helped to blaze it.

Lest I be misunderstood... well done UP. Or is that, UP done well... anyway, up with UP!!!

While this thread certainly didn't evolve the way Warren expected, it certainly is a very interesting thread, and Uncle Pug makes a good point.

My take on the moral of this thread is that it's very easy, when you're convinced you're doing the right thing (meant in the figurative sense, not DIR), that you don't see that you may not be, and that is the dangerous thing. When you have a case where both sides are equally convinced they are doing nothing wrong, something is wrong.

I have to admit though, that I was pretty mystified with where Uncle Pug was going...

-Simon

UP was gentle and didn't humiliate you, and you have provided lessons that many, many should heed. If anyone has come out ahead in this, it is you. I have shared many of my mistakes, knowing full well that I was opening myself up to public ridicule. If it helps just one other to avoid my mistakes, then that is great. If nothing else, my "confessions" help reinforce my humility. Humility is in short supply these days and I need all that I can get!!!. I have also shared many of my mistakes as triumphs, NOT knowing what they really were. Thank goodness that others pointed them out to me as errors. I would hate to be still making the SAME mistakes over and over again and turn into one of these people that say "But I've always done it this way!"

And don't worry, the Pugster has been wrong too... once or twice, anyway. To err is human... you only stop making mistakes when you start pushing up daisies. I think I would rather deal with my "character building exercises" then go down that road.

Warren,

I'm with you on this one. Being judgemental isn't always a crime, sometimes it's a survival skill. This is a rather clear cut case. The "old man" was breaking Florida law and unfairly endangering both your life and his life by even entering in the cave without proper certification regardless of his experience level or how many years he's been diving. A lot of patronizing takes places on this board from about a half dozen or so people. You've just been a victim of it. I hope it doesn't discourage you from posting in the future.

-Brady

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
You know, I'd really appreciate it if a mod would delete this asinine thread.

Who are the mods on the Cave forum?

- Warren

Only King Neptune, Lady Diver and Iguana Don can moderate the technical forums.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom