Worst Job You Ever Had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laying typar in the Texas summer, 1980.

It's a compressed matting used in foundation work to help prevent settling. Silver-grey.

That summer was known as the Texas sizzler, it got up to 113, with 95% humidity, and I was working on a giant mirror. I drank, no kidding, 5 gallons of water a day.

Worst job: Walking behind a tractor, spraying weeds in a cotton field.

Hardest job: Loading roofing material and hot mopping during the hot central California summers.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
Laying typar in the Texas summer, 1980.

That summer was known as the Texas sizzler, it got up to 113, with 95% humidity, and I was working on a giant mirror. I drank, no kidding, 5 gallons of water a day.

In the summer of 1980, I was working in a souvenir stand in the upper deck of old Arlington Stadium. By the time I trudged up there, I was usually soaking wet. I still believe we reached 117 that summer, although I can't confirm that.

Worst job: Landscaper for a 70 year old crusty bas**rd. I swear this guy never wanted any landscaping done in the fist place. I think he just wanted someone to yell at. Everyday for an entire summer he'd call me in to his living room and tell me how much of an idiot I was. It was like a sitcom for crying out loud. But I was a desperately poor university student so I ate it all up and asked for more.

Close second: Customer service for AT&T Wireless. People yelled at me a lot there too.

Selling Debit Life Insurance...All of my customers were poor blacks in the south...Hated the product I was selling...but they believed me....love my job now..selling the space program...a customer in my group is ELAN.... The person that developed "Pay Pal" He wants to launch rockets now....and he will be quite sucessful

I spent 2 1/2 weeks last christmas as a checker at Wal-Mart. Worst job ever, I would rather dive in sewage than work there again. Wal-Mart is a terrible terrible place, don't EVER go there!!!

Diggin ditches.... by hand.

Tin roofing...... hot as all he**, I put in about 12,000 screws one day. Yep that's 1 every 3.88 sec. for 12 hours.

Laying railroad ties.... by hand.

Ohh and I just love having pebbles impailed into my skin while using an industrial weed eater, they go through your shirt.

Now I work on glorious computers in AC.

:D

P.S. I forgot bailing hay. 10 cents a bail woooohooooo!!!!!!

Custodial engineer:wink: people are just filthy away from home.

Tire changer: Spring/Summer when the silage/cattle trucks:wacko: come in or Winter when the studded :eek: snow tires got pulled out.

Finally got smart and went back to college and my jobs are much better.:mean:

Cheers

though there was one manager I thought was pure evil.

Worked on cars since I was 12 (I have my second pay stub too!). I took a summer off to dig ditches, mow lawns and work in the fields for IFAS (Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences for UofFlorida)... that was hard, but I lost a metric butt tonne of weight (literally) and gained a ton of muscle. I worked for the food vendors at UF for a while and then as a machinist apprectice in the college of Chemistry. I worked as a mechanic for a Taylor Rental, a machinist for the university and then an educational supplier, and also sold car parts for a while (manager) then it was back to automotive as a mechanic and then service manager for many, many years (fifteen with Goodyear). Now I own my own business and am a Network consultant. I am sorta glad no one needed a Russian major! :tease:

I have tried to bring something unique to each and every job and take something with me (skills not merchandise!!!) when I left. I think I succeeded and and am still happy for each and every opportunity I had to grow. I don't regret any of these experiences in any way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom