Worst Job You Ever Had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say my worst job ever, was at a school/treatment facility for teenage male sex offenders.

They were court ordered to stay there, because they had committed sexual assault, or rape, and they were too young to go to jail. We got the bad apples that no one else wanted. The year before I started working there, a female staff member was attacked and raped by two of the kids.

I was a staff member assigned to a group of 8 kids. One reoffended while he was there by touching another boy, and he got sent off to jail, another grabbed a female staff member's breast, and another time a boy fondled another boy in his bed, and threatened him to not tell...

Cameras everywhere, taping everything, fights all the time. Had to restrain kids on a daily basis, so they didnt hurt eachother or me. Got smacked in the face, black eye, and cut right under my left eye one time. Also, got bit in the arm as I was restraining one of the little darlings...

Yeah, I have to say, that was the worst job I have EVER had... That job was part of my reasoning in becoming a scuba instructor...

During the summer of my junior year in high school, I took a job working at the local land fill. Here's the job description: walk around the mountain of garbage all day with a bunch of plastic bags and a mop handle with a nail in the end of it and spear loose garbage until the bags are full. Garbage duty at the garbage dump. The ultimate Sisyphean task.

To this day, I get a terrible sinking feeling whenever I catch the distinctive whiff of a landfill.

biggest tomatoes you ever saw
Yah, it's amazing, eh? Always seem to see the critters around the ponds.
10 cents a bale...
Dang, that'd how I earned my $$ for my first set of dive gear, when I was 14. I'd take the mow all by myself, sometimes putting in 1000 bales a day. Got $50/week.
school/treatment facility for teenage male sex offenders.
LUBOLD8431 has my vote, I'll take the sewer pipe crawl any day. probably a whole lot less s**t involved too.:wink:

Who ever spent time as a telemarketer? I've done 2 telemarketing jobs, lasted a day at each. You don't even know how hated you can be until you call someone you don't know and ask for a few minutes of their time.....

Horrible job.

Rachel

When I was in undergraduate school, I took a job as a facilities technician for a biotechnology company. They made kits to detect the presence of various nasty biological compounds (AIDS, anthrax, plague, etc...). Of course, that meant that they kept a supply of the compounds in the building. They worked on them in clean rooms. There were large hoods in each room.

Part of my job required me to suit up and clean/replace the filters on the hoods.

It was always a little scary knowing what was on the other side of my protective gear.

In the summer of 1980, I worked as an unskilled laborer for a general contractor that did a lot of fire restoration work. This was in Dallas. It was the time of Scuba Texan's and Photo TJ's misery. As an unskilled laborer, my main job on fire restoration projects was to do wreckout work. We'd go into the burned out buildings with wrecking bars, tear up everything we saw, and throw it into the back of a truck for hauloff. We had one huge job involving a burned out apartment complex, which is where I spent a lot of July and early August, if memory serves me. Most of the crew doing wreckout quit. I had to have the money for school. It seemed like the only workers they could keep on the job for wreckout work [other than me] were undocumented. We had no respiratory protection. I'd breath that stirred up black dust all day long, and I'd go home and blow my nose, and it would come out black. When I would spit, it would have black gunk in it.

On what turned out to be my last day on the job, I had even more of that "I've just been run over by a truck" feeling than usual. When I ran my hand through my hair, it was bone dry. Oops. I realized I didn't have a drop of sweat anywhere. It was about 110 degrees. I knew I was screwed. On the drive home, I started getting violent dry heaves. I got home, started drinking as much water as I could, puked, drank more water, repeat process over and over and over. I was definitely going to be out of commission for return to that work for a while.

Thankfully, school was about to start, but I sure could have used that last couple of weeks pay.

Worst job was cleaning out a 80,000 gallon round diesel tank with a steam cleaner. No respritory protection, just a rain coat. I could barely stand up on those slick sided walls, then when you turn on the steam, you couldn't see @#%&! I told them I couldn't breath, so they got an airpack from the volunteer fire Dept. and they put that down first, then me, then put on the tank. Now I couldn't even get back out if something were to happen. I didn't know then, but that was a very dangerous and illegal thing thay had me doing. I smelled like fuel for a week afterwards.
the other bad job was doing hod carrying for a mean old stone mason. I know what the egyptian slaves must have felt like, hauling stones around all day long.

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Who ever spent time as a telemarketer? I've done 2 telemarketing jobs, lasted a day at each. You don't even know how hated you can be until you call someone you don't know and ask for a few minutes of their time.....

Horrible job.

Rachel

Been there, done that, hated it...

hehe, got to give it to the tomatoes.

all i have to say is a year spent working for disney indoctrinating the people of the world with the word and ways of the king rodent himself mickey mouse.

did i hear "it's a wonderful world" anyone.

Hey some foul jobs out there!
A friend of mine worked in Europe on the 'white boat' scene.
A German owner would come aboard and stick his tongue all over the boat checking for salt!
A huge boat sure takes some licking!
Wobbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom