Worth extra $ for air intergrated computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not a bad price for a SPG like that with hose. I've been looking for something to replace my Sherwood gage.

cummings66:
To me and I'll say it again, it's been posted a couple times. The main benefit is that it records my tank pressures for me allowing me to log them at a later date for air consumption analysis.

Anyone can do whatever they want, but that's a lot of cash to shell out for something you can do with a pencil, start pressure, end pressure, and the average depth that most gauges log.

Of that there is no doubt. However if you have it then that's a nice feature. I don't trust them myself enough to dump the ole SPG.

That said diving doesn't really have to be expensive does it?

This is the longest thread I've started and for some reason that gets me excited...maybe I need another hobby. Thanks for all the advice though, it's been a helpful thread.

From a guy who dove analog gauges for years and love them, and have only gotten a computer now that I am diving Nitrox and would like to get the most of it. I would say the AI is very nice. I like having all my information in one place, having a good indication of air time remaining etc. The turn around alarm (user setable) is a nice backup feature.
I had a h*!! of a time deciding betwenn the Sherwood Wisdom, Aeris AI, and the Oceanic VT pro. I don't mind the hose and like having a compass on my consol, but I got such a good deal on the Oceanic I went that way. So far I am very happy with it, BIG numbers, easy to see bar graphs for O2 exporsure, N2, Ascent rate.

Soggy:
Normally from me, but I'm waiting on an order to come in. If you can wait a month, I'll probably have them.

normal_IMG_1571.jpg

No prob, I can wait. Want to send me a PM when you get some?

Thanks!

SpiderSense:
I don't think FAULTY is the right word here. the computer gives you measurements based on the data it has at the time. if things change, the info changes. it just gives an indication of what you have, not exact since it can't predict the future.
I agree with you on how it works. And you're right, faulty is probably a bad choice for a descriptive word. But the question was do I think it is "conservative" or "faulty?" Since the information provided in the air time remaining is not, at least in my humble opinion, remotely accurate, I would have to classify it as faulty and not conservative.

And someone posted before, that the calculations the computer makes should change with depth. This of course is true. I guess what I failed to post, is that the change in the air time remaining should be relative to your depth. If I decend 3 feet to follow the contour of a reef or wreck, my VT pro will start howling at me, and the air time remaining graph will drop from 60 min to 5. Not accurate in my eyes.

Tienuts:
I guess what I failed to post, is that the change in the air time remaining should be relative to your depth. If I decend 3 feet to follow the contour of a reef or wreck, my VT pro will start howling at me, and the air time remaining graph will drop from 60 min to 5. Not accurate in my eyes.

Wow, sounds like something is wrong.
I have the Aeris AI, and it does not work like this at all.
I don't get that kind of fluctuation at all. It does vary
but not like that. Perhaps the VT Pro came out earlier and
Oceanic/Aeris has tweeked their DTR algorithm since the
AI was made?

I could see your frustration with the way yours is working.

--- bill

Soggy:
Snip.....................

Because you still need an SPG to go with it since the things are unreliable.

The other reasons for not using a wireless AI might be sound, but I have always been a little wary of saying that they are unreliable.
I have used mine for more than 40 dives now and except for a lost link for a few seconds a couple of times during safety stops (probably because my hand went out of range - I practice mask removing, clearing and some other skills on my stop) it has never failed. While I agree that 40 dives may not be statistically significant, I have read several posts from several members on this forum who have stated that they have used wireless AI for years without facing any reliability issues.

Matsya:
TWhile I agree that 40 dives may not be statistically significant, I have read several posts from several members on this forum who have stated that they have used wireless AI for years without facing any reliability issues.

....and just as many who have had numerous problems which is really what is more important.

I've never had my brass SPG decide not to give me my pressure....

Back
Top Bottom