Would you dive with a non-DIR diver?

Would you dive directly with a non-DIR diver?

• Not without a significant predive briefing

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Yes if I or someone I trusted vouched for his skills

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Yes, but only in rec diving conditions

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is merely an information-gathering post and isn't meant to imply anything. The question is simple -- would you buddy up with a non-DIR diver if the situation required it?

Edit: sorry, the second choice should be "his or her skills" (no gender bias here :))

Without a doubt, yes. I didn't find an option in the poll that best describes my take on this topic.

To me, it's all about communication and personality. If the person is willing to have fun and work as a team, the rest of the stuff can be worked out. As the depth gets deeper, skills and team communication become more important. In the tech environment (i.e. wreck penetrations or future dives to 150'), the training and skill level of the team has to be up to speed, but this isn't a DIR only situation. I'm not sure of how many divers with tech training would be comfortable taking a recreational diver into extreme conditions. It's just not a safe thing to do.

On the other hand, if I feel comfortable diving with a non-DIR diver and have experience with the diver that makes me feel comfortable diving with them in those environments, I would consider diving with them, and would slowly work together to learn how to dive safely. However, I'd do the same thing with other DIR divers. I know that many people feel comforatable jumping in the water with other DIR trained divers, but personally, I like to have a few dives in recreational environments to learn their style of diving and to give them a chance to learn mine.

Communication and the right attitude are the key IMO, and without them, things can get scary regardless of the training.

~ Jason

It all depends. Your poll (like most) is too coarse to be meaningful... so I didn't vote in it.

As the risks associated with a dive ramp up the qualifications of the dive team must ramp up to meet them.

Some dives I would do with anyone other than the folks I wouldn't do any dive with.

Some dives I wouldn't do with anyone other than the folks I would do any dive with.

DIR training suggests a level of possible competence.

Hmm if any DIR divers are in Vancouver and dont' mind diving with a not-yet-DIR diver, I'd love to go diving with someone. I'm looking to take fundies this year but would really like to get out... How's that for hijacking the thread? :D

Oh and I don't think I'm qualified to vote in the poll :)

Bjorn

Uncle Pug:
DIR training suggests a level of possible competence.
So, fair to say that all divers taking DIR training are not DIR, but all DIR divers have taken DIR training?

Well said UP. Thanks.

A good many *DIR divers* on the internet have never taken any GUE DIR training. A good many of the *GUE trained DIR divers* have not even passed the DIR fundamentals class. A good many of the *GUE trained DIR divers who have passed the DIRf* have a long way to go before the skills they were exposed to become skills they possess.

Just remember that passing DIRf is like passing remedial English and you will have a better perspective on yourself... and others.

The DIR guys I dive with are very good and have the same attitude that UP and darkpup do, which is why we get along so well. They have more tech skills than I do and do a lot of that type of diving, and although I have quite a bit of experience in open water diving, I understand that their training allows them to do dives I can't. I respect them for that. I'm no DIR basher because all the really good DIR guys I know are not non-DIR bashers. Having said that, we are concerned about any diver that exhibits signs of poor training.

well... i guess my answer is a bit moot

i don't think of myself as a "DIR" diver. I've taken and passed DIR-F, and i
think there's a great deal DIR has to offer my diving. on the other hand,
it turns me off that DIR seems to be more about "being DIR" than about
becoming a better diver... there's an assumption that the two are
synonimous (sp?) which i think is flawed

would i dive with divers who are not DIR-F trained? i know quite a few who
are at least as good and many who are better than me who are not DIR trained.

so yes, i'd dive with them. in fact, i dive with them all the time.

there are many ways to get to be a good diver. DIR is a darn good one, but
not the only one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom