Would you rather spend a week diving Bangka or Alor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm deciding between the two in June and am having a really hard time doing so. Assuming all things equal (price, time to get there, etc.) -- which should I choose? It seems like both areas have diverse diving, ranging from muck/macro to drifts, walls, reefs, etc. I'm not a fan of mucking around, so maybe whichever one focuses less on that? How do the reefs of both compare? Thanks in advance.

I'm deciding between the two in June and am having a really hard time doing so. Assuming all things equal (price, time to get there, etc.) -- which should I choose? It seems like both areas have diverse diving, ranging from muck/macro to drifts, walls, reefs, etc. I'm not a fan of mucking around, so maybe whichever one focuses less on that? How do the reefs of both compare? Thanks in advance.

easy...
I love bangka, been there 14-15-16-17-18-19 and 22.. sometimes just there other times with different stops and i will come back in future..
But Alor is another planet, I was there in 2013 together with komodo and I rate it just a little below north komodo... usually the problem is getting there...a week is not enough for me, the place is much more exclusive/isolated than bangka and diving can be more challenging with unpredictable currents and even freezing water.. but wow, this strait is incredible...
however bangka should cost less both as a trip and as a resort and in my opinion is a lot more relaxing...
:wink:

Thinking of Alor or (going back to) N. Sulawesi in March of this year.

I did Manado, Bunaken, Bangka, and Lembeh. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wondering if the trek to Alor is worth it in the sense that it's that much better than Bangka/Lembeh.

All things are not equal. The cost and complexity of getting to Alor are not on par with Bangka. Bangka is great, and combining it with Lembeh is a solid option. Alor is easily a step up in every aspect: quality (reefs, pelagics, diversity), complexity, and cost. If you are "...not a fan of mucking around..." I don't even think it is a debate.

Thinking of Alor or (going back to) N. Sulawesi in March of this year.
Alor but not in march (too early)

All things are not equal. The cost and complexity of getting to Alor are not on par with Bangka. Bangka is great, and combining it with Lembeh is a solid option. Alor is easily a step up in every aspect: quality (reefs, pelagics, diversity), complexity, and cost. If you are "...not a fan of mucking around..." I don't even think it is a debate.
I agree with your remarks on quality and complexity. Cost, on the other hand, may depend. Comparing a 1 week stay with Murex Bangka and Alor Divers, Murex Bangka was a little more but the extra flights/baggage/time to get there are definitely a consideration as you alluded to. If you opt to stay at Alami Alor or some of the nicer options it can easily be double that of Alor Divers and Bangka for a week.

For longer stays at Alor Divers, you get some free nights once you clear a threshold.

I agree with your remarks on quality and complexity. Cost, on the other hand, may depend. Comparing a 1 week stay with Murex Bangka and Alor Divers, Murex Bangka was a little more but the extra flights/baggage/time to get there are definitely a consideration as you alluded to. If you opt to stay at Alami Alor or some of the nicer options it can easily be double that of Alor Divers and Bangka for a week.

For longer stays at Alor Divers, you get some free nights once you clear a threshold.
Alor adds two flights and an overnight in Kupang from one's entry into Indonesia- probably Jakarta. That adds up in air tickets, transports, food, and a hotel. Singapore to Monado is far, far easier in every aspect.

Alor adds two flights and an overnight in Kupang from one's entry into Indonesia- probably Jakarta. That adds up in air tickets, transports, food, and a hotel. Singapore to Monado is far, far easier in every aspect.
Yes, Manado is much easier. If you fly from Jakarta you can skip the overnight in Kupang and it connects seamlessly. However, you get to take a flight at no-thanks-o’clock and it’s a red-eye. It’s like picking the best of the worst or a bad game of “would you rather”. :p

If going in March, not even a consideration. I think all the resorts close for the season until April. I plan to go back in May - hoping for a bit more action than in June. While I had a great time last time, I wouldn't say it's "better" than a Lembeh/Bunaken trip. Different. I absolutely love the critter-finding in Lembeh, and while you can find great much in Alor, it would not compare. While you can find great coral and pelagics in Bunaken and in Alor - well it's always luck, but I think the corals are better in Bunaken. But I never saw marlin or hammerheads there as I did in Alor. Or schools of dolphin on 1/3 of the boat rides. If you can align your trip with the ferry from Kupang you can save a flight and maybe manage same-day travel, but it is indeed a bit of effort to get there. I hope it remains that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom