Would you rather spend a week diving Bangka or Alor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If going in March, not even a consideration. I think all the resorts close for the season until April. I plan to go back in May - hoping for a bit more action than in June. While I had a great time last time, I wouldn't say it's "better" than a Lembeh/Bunaken trip. Different. I absolutely love the critter-finding in Lembeh, and while you can find great much in Alor, it would not compare. While you can find great coral and pelagics in Bunaken and in Alor - well it's always luck, but I think the corals are better in Bunaken. But I never saw marlin or hammerheads there as I did in Alor. Or schools of dolphin on 1/3 of the boat rides. If you can align your trip with the ferry from Kupang you can save a flight and maybe manage same-day travel, but it is indeed a bit of effort to get there. I hope it remains that way.
It’s always interesting how subjective it is and that’s why we are all here asking for opinions and advice from others. Great points on the differences and nice tip on the ferry. I’ve only ever done the flight option.

Bunaken was a snooze for me as far as coral and reef life. I thought Bangka was quite good and much better while Alor was fantastic and a place I have returned to.

Too early from which perspective?
Weather (poor) or quantity of marine life?
Weatherwise. Wet season usually lasts from Dec to April in this area, even later you are in La Nina episode (last year was under El Nino, the 3 years before in a row, La Nina).
Like another poster mentioned, some dive centers wouldn't even be open before march20th or so.

I'm deciding between the two in June and am having a really hard time doing so. Assuming all things equal (price, time to get there, etc.) -- which should I choose? It seems like both areas have diverse diving, ranging from muck/macro to drifts, walls, reefs, etc. I'm not a fan of mucking around, so maybe whichever one focuses less on that? How do the reefs of both compare? Thanks in advance.
Alor no doubt! Where can you have the chances to see pelagic stuff (Napoleon, grey reef, black tip, eagle ray, mobula ray, giant barracuda etc), macro (many ghost pipe fish, frogfish and rhinophias), big school of fish, super beautiful reef, local fishing in the water with their home-made speargun, the famous fish cage of Alor and healthy marine eco system. It is IMHO one of the best diving spots in Indonesia or maybe the world. My highlight during my first trip in November 2023, we saw mola mola on the surface for 3 straight days and a Marlin during a dive at magical bama. On the surface, we saw a super pod of pilot whales and daily sighting of dolphins. If you go Alor, you need to dive at Magical Bama....it is so magical. In 1 dive, we saw Napoleon, Bumphead, Tuna, Marlin and Mobula Ray. But water can be from 21 Deg to 29 Deg. You can also take a side trip to visit the friendly resident Dugong near the Airport on your last dive day.

Posting some places on this site is sure way to change that.
There are some Intrepid travelers here that will find a way.
Mum's the word , for those that don't know "be silent; do not reveal".
I thoroughly agree. Some places should remain off the beaten path to keep some of that magical experience.

Alor no doubt! Where can you have the chances to see pelagic stuff (Napoleon, grey reef, black tip, eagle ray, mobula ray, giant barracuda etc), macro (many ghost pipe fish, frogfish and rhinophias), big school of fish, super beautiful reef, local fishing in the water with their home-made speargun, the famous fish cage of Alor and healthy marine eco system. It is IMHO one of the best diving spots in Indonesia or maybe the world. My highlight during my first trip in November 2023, we saw mola mola on the surface for 3 straight days and a Marlin during a dive at magical bama. On the surface, we saw a super pod of pilot whales and daily sighting of dolphins. If you go Alor, you need to dive at Magical Bama....it is so magical. In 1 dive, we saw Napoleon, Bumphead, Tuna, Marlin and Mobula Ray. But water can be from 21 Deg to 29 Deg. You can also take a side trip to visit the friendly resident Dugong near the Airport on your last dive day.
Hi, May I ask where you stayed on Alor please? Thanks in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom