Wreck or rock, what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking over some old charts tonight and came across a notation of a wreck nearby. The chart had it on a submerged rock and out of boredom I pulled up the NOAA bathymetry site to see if there was anything visible there.

Nope.

But nearby, I found the attached.

I imported it into Google Earth and did a little orthorectification (I love that word) and it looks like an object 97 feet long by 47 feet wide with a maximum height off the bottom of about 6-7 feet in 75 feet of water. It seems to be the only object on an otherwise flat, featureless bottom.

So, place your bets, wreck or rock?

And does anyone want to go find out?

Attachments

• Inati bay possible wreck - small.jpg
    Inati bay possible wreck - small.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 108
Is that in the ocean somewhere near Washington? I'd think you might be able to convince several other Washington divers to help split the cost of a private charter for the opportunity to see an uncharted boat-wreck, or interesting rock formation.

it's 6 miles out of Bellingham, but I don't think there are any dive charters left around here. This is a thing I would like to be wrong about.

Even if there are no dive-charters, there should be boats in the area. I'm sure you could find someone with a boat willing to take out a group of divers, and anchor for a few hours.

You just have to keep in mind they'll be unfamiliar with working with divers, and perhaps have to explain a few safety protocols, make sure to bring a solid save-a-dive kit, check the weather, currents, etc. I'm not that familiar with the nuances of operating a dive-boat in the ocean, but perhaps some other people here will have some good advice.

Do you know anyone with a ROV , or can you hire one?

If you dive it, ask locals about currents, tides, weather [storm season etc].
Last time we dived an unknow object [turned out to be yacht sitting upright, no mast].
We hired a boat [4 of us] with a coxswain that has local knowledge.
Dived 2 at a time, always 2 on the surface .
Down the anchor line put us near it, exit up and over to a shot line set at 6M with 2 spare cylinders , gas on [not needed...but, it's what we do].
We were using twin sets and the dive was deeper than above, 30m, not deep but all care taken and planned well [O2 on the boat, all the usual safety gear].
Plan it well and don't dive it with 'mugs' you don't know.

Must add, the vis was horrible.

Edit: Typo.

So if it's only 6 miles out of Bellingham then I'm guessing that it's most likely in Bellingham Bay or over by Lummi Island and pretty much in protected waters... and definitely in US waters which makes it a lot less of a hassle.

I might be interested in investigating but wouldn't be available till the first week or two of January after crabbing closes down here in Area 8-2. I'm just a couple hours south of you near Everett. My 24 Hewescraft is set-up for diving.......O2 and all emergency gear and even a heated cabin For the initial ID dive, I'd probably live boat it with a marker buoy, slack tide, 12lb downrigger ball with 125ft of line. Then maybe anchor off once we know what's there. Can't accept any $$ so for bringing the platform I'd want either myself or my buddy Todd on the initial ID dive team.

kaz0Fo3.jpg

So if it's only 6 miles out of Bellingham then I'm guessing that it's most likely in Bellingham Bay or over by Lummi Island and pretty much in protected waters... and definitely in US waters which makes it a lot less of a hassle.

I might be interested in investigating but wouldn't be available till the first week or two of January after crabbing closes down here in Area 8-2. I'm just a couple hours south of you near Everett. My 24 Hewescraft is set-up for diving.......O2 and all emergency gear and even a heated cabin For the initial ID dive, I'd probably live boat it with a marker buoy, slack tide, 12lb downrigger ball with 125ft of line. Then maybe anchor off once we know what's there. Can't accept any $$ so for bringing the platform I'd want either myself or my buddy Todd on the initial ID dive team.

kaz0Fo3.jpg
So very very interested!

The timing for that should work fine. I am going to pick up a RIB when I get paid next and so can get some sidescan and drop cam info anyway.

I am more than a little envious of your boat there!

kaz0Fo3.jpg
Off topic:
Nice boat.:daydream:

Back
Top Bottom