Wreck Preservation..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparky:

In answer to your question it is very difficult to prevent or even detect this type of theft because there are still people that think striping a wreck is ok to do. Under section 4(1) sub 1-7 no person shall engage in any of the following activities. enter a heritage wreck, move parts of a wreck remove silt or other naturally occuring substance, remove a protected artiface, damage a wreck or artifact,take any action that alters or adversley effects a heritage site.

Offences should be reported to the OPP as it is thier mandate to investigate this type of offence. However if a person or persons are seen removing or damaging a wreck the local police should be contacted . Penelties range from a fine to equipment loss to a possible 1 year jail sentence

But you are right education is an important tool in reducing and hope fully eliminating this type of occurance and that is why there are groups like POW & SOS.

yours in diving
Wayne P
President
Preserve Our Wrecks Kingston

Some do actually. There is a steakhouse in Ottawa, right beside IKEA, that has a huge statue of a bull in front of it. I haven't eaten there yet though, hehe

dvbtkptn:
Under section 4(1) sub 1-7 no person shall engage in any of the following activities. enter a heritage wreck, move parts of a wreck remove silt or other naturally occuring substance, remove a protected artiface, damage a wreck or artifact,take any action that alters or adversley effects a heritage site.
.. SNIP..
Wayne P
President
Preserve Our Wrecks Kingston

Thanks Wayne.. Do you know if there is a link to the actualy Heritage act.. I'd like to do some more reading.. :)
We had some heated discussions about this topic on another board, and I'd like to get all my facts straight before I jump on somebody :D

dvbtkptn:
Sparky:

You can search any bill before the Government of Ontario at www.searchontario.gov.on.ca and the bill your looking for is Bill 13 1999 a private members bill. You can print out a pdf file of the bill to have.

Wayne

Not quite, you have the wrong Bill.

Bill 13 was shot down, partly because of the efforts of clubs and divers who sent thousands of e-mails to Government officials and also testified before the Standing Committee at Queens Park. Bill 13 was badly worded and could have shut down diving of most of Ontario's shipwrecks. A lot of the stuff although watered down was later added to the Ontario Heritage Act under house cleaning bill 179. This was done without consult of stakeholders as promised by the Bill 13 committee.

The SOS web site http://www.saveontarioshipwrecks.on.ca has info on Bill 179 although the info presented is a simply worded "I wish I hope" explaination and may differ as to how a lawyer may inturpit it.

A complete history of Bill 13 may still be found on the NDA web site http://www.vaxxine.com/nda.

Hey there Sparkasaurus,

Having been out there on a number of occasions I would like to add that in previous postings that I'm sure you've read I think that the pillaging of the wreck was over stated.

Yes, there is more room for penetration at this point but it's not like I could stand my 5'2" frame inside.

No, we are not able to locate the plates at this time but a diver may have relocated them thinking they were doing good instead of bad to avoid their loss (I am only speculating and have no knowledge of this act).

There are other bottles as well that are missing at this time but they may now be silted over.

Divers have made posts that the wreck has been severely damaged - what I would ask is that you dive it yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Now that we have a moored wreck in our area I would think that everyone and anyone who has the opportunity to dive on it should take pride in something that we have been asking for for years. They should also respect those who were on these ships and may have perished by leaving it as is.

I feel that the removal of items from any wreck is disrespectful and that not only should you be penalized by law, but that the PADI police or TDI police should also take action against the individual/s.

I know that we have joked about this in the past but it would be great if some of the training agencies would help reinforce this as well.

Over stated?? Ya think?

hehehhe

Make no mistake guys, most of us know the timing, the poster, and the subject, did not come about by coincidence, but is a rather timely post in response to a local pi$$ing match.

We would like to thank the real work done by organized groups such as POW and SOS. We unfortunately don't have much of that here, in the Niagara Region per say.

I guess it was silly for some of us to believe that a local group of "uneducated", well intentioned but naive crew could possibly mimick the fine job done in Kingston and sites Eastward.

I hope no-one believes that all that "stuff" just happened to come to rest were it sits today....and heaven help the soul who thinks the Lillie had an upside down tin container on her port side when she went down, and somehow it caught all those goodies!

What I am saying is, everything seen today was found and picked up, fondled and re-set back to where all could see it. No harm done, and don't be fooled, every moored wreck has been handled in the same way by those empowered to do so or otherwise. Either way the same job gets done, most of it for free. So the true reality is, no harm, no foul, unless ya wanna whine about nothing.

Lets cut the holier than thou B.S. and realize that first and foremost. Everyone's first reaction is "Oh My God look what XXXX just touched, placed, did", whatever. The reality is all this "virgin" stuff was found by somebody, and NOT stolen, but placed where all could enjoy.

That's what was in the works of happening at the Tiller, but alas, some joker(s) decided to take almost everything, and then they, or someone else carved a name into the stern. Silly us for thinking we could be Kingston.

Good intentions, brought down by some person(s).

Somebody please tell me the "official" work being done to determine anything about the Tiller. Somebody tell me why the government should be spending tax dollars on things we, as divers, would co-ordinate and do for free? Hell, the last time I checked, I was the one spending my time locating the info that we have on just what was found, locating it's origin, dates made and all that jaz, which I freely destributed to all interested.

Then of course this thread.......hehehhe, not worthy of a response, but since my good buddy Divemistress is here.....why not. We were/are accused of creating 6ft of headroom!!! hehehehheh. And of course, as far as we know, we don't have a clue who actually did the stealing, but from the accusations, it's assumed it must be us, as we are the ones that dive it the most.

Wrong, but who ya gonna tell that's listening anyway?

Nice political post, just the same. Goes to show you can get some good people on your side for all the wrong reasons.

I find some of the "political preservists" among us are typical politicians, they are long on rules and regulations and short on the practical side of the equation.

Guys like OTE and Adv Tech on this board, as well as D/Mistress and I (And if it wasn't us, it would be others hopefully) are the ones giving their time and sometimes money, towrds this stuff, while the rest see fit to post smear campaigns.

Nice call DiveMistress, keep up the good work. I hear the same thing about the china, although I have not seen them yet.

Steve

Steve,

You make some good points and maybe we should consider taking some action and get more involved with POW or SOS ourselves- this may be the only way to protect the wrecks in our backyard.

I'd hate for people to be dragging anchors in the lake doing damage to them. LOL for those who didn't know I was joking.

We'll be in Kingston in 2 weeks and we can ask Big Jim about it in person at that time.

Seeing as we're not the only ones in the area interested in protecting this site and any future ones we're lucky enough to get mooring lines on we may be able to have a group effort to create the awareness.

A strong mutual alliance is known to bring people together for the greater good.

Just don't vote me off the island....LOL.

(LOL added as requested by gatorboy)

Ah I can't wait. Kingston with Big Jim.

I've a big-a$$ goodie bag ready to fill............

(LOL not required, some of can see things for what they are). LOL

So D/Mistress, who is going with you to the St James? I haven't a clue, as usual on how to get wherever we're going, and I hoped to commute with you or somebody?? Maybe??

Oh yeah, you'd better let OTE know about my groping comment RE Gilboa last weekend, as it seems he wants another stab at my wifey since he thinks.........wait a minute, maybe a PM is in order?????

hehehehehe

I can see that your jerk of a boss is being lenient on you today Steve....I guess those people don't need their cars fixed after all....

Super excited as always to go to Kingston. The wrecks up there haven't changed much in the past 4 years and 10 charters later. I think this is my 11th time up there, and my 10th trip out with Big Jim.

I only hope that we can preserve our wrecks as well as they have.

I figured that I'd pick everyone up and we'd all go up together. I'll get directions from Obeeno/GoDown or Divesith for the St. James.

You'd better watch out for OTE.....you still have to make it up to him since the legendary comments were dropped hahaha.

He'll get his revenge on you yet :wink: You mean Leanne isn't interested? I saw her snuggling up to him at Teazer's house last week.....LOL.

I explained the whole body groping incident and I only wish I had the camera on that night dive to add it to the OCAR pile. I am quite the collector of OCAR photo's now. One of these days I'll read them off the memory card and post you with two right hands!

Back
Top Bottom