Wrinkles August '05 Dive and BBQ planning thread - Redondo Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I'll be there too!

I did a little recon at Redondo Beach yesterday and visited the different establishments in the area that we could go to for dinner.

I think Roger had the best idea for a place to go for dinner and more socializing after diving.

El Torito does not seem to get too busy, the waitstaff worked hard to take care of everyone we saw around us and the food was tasty. The prices were reasonable.

El Torito, is conveniently located on the pier and was only a 5 minute walk from Veteran's Park where we will be having our BBQ and doing our Redondo Beach dives.

Since sunset is at 7:41 pm, going in for a night dive at about that time would work out nicely. We could go to dinner once we've cleaned up after the night dive. There are showers conveniently available right there. We'd probably be out of the water, packed up and ready for dinner between 9 and 9:30 pm.

I can get a head count for dinner in the middle of the day and call El Torito and let them know how many of us there will be. I spoke with the manager of the restaurant and they would be happy to take care of us after a long day of diving by setting aside an area for however many of us there will be.

Christian

Yesterday, while doing my little recon to find the best spot for us to hang out and have our BBQ, I discovered that there are no public BBQs available for use at Veteran's Park.

However, they do have large containers everywhere to put the hot coals when you are done.

Does anyone have a BBQ that they can bring for the day?

This will be necessary if we're going to grill hot dogs and hamburgers. :D

Thanks.

Christian

BrianS:
I'm getting sick, think I'm going to have to back out, sorry :(
Sorry you're not feeling well. If you wind up well by Saturday you can always just come on down. Take care of yourself, there is always next month!

Christian

headhunter:
Yesterday, while doing my little recon to find the best spot for us to hang out and have our BBQ, I discovered that there are no public BBQs available for use at Veteran's Park.

However, they do have large containers everywhere to put the hot coals when you are done.

Does anyone have a BBQ that they can bring for the day?

This will be necessary if we're going to grill hot dogs and hamburgers. :D

Thanks.

Christian

I don't have a BBQ grill, but I do have a 2 burner propane stove. The stove would be lame for cooking hamburgers, etc., but it would be OK to heat anything else up, make hot drinks, etc. Let me know if you want me to bring it.

Geoff

Kayak Diver:
I don't have a BBQ grill, but I do have a 2 burner propane stove. The stove would be lame for cooking hamburgers, etc., but it would be OK to heat anything else up, make hot drinks, etc. Let me know if you want me to bring it.

Geoff
Hi Geoff,

Right now it's all about the hot dogs and hamburgers, but the stove would be a good idea if anyone brings Coffee or Hot Chocolate. So, go ahead and bring the stove.

Thanks!

Christian

OK everybody,

We've got 3 days 'til our Dive and BBQ and it's going to be great fun just like it always is.

We're missing 2 important items for our BBQ:

1) BBQ Grill
2)Hamburgers and Buns

Everything else will fall into place.

Maybe we could buy a few disposable grills. I think I remember seeing some cheap ones in stores, but don't remember where.

If anyone has a grill that they can get to Veteran's Park it would be appreciated.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Christian

Christian, I have an insert for a built-in, but it would require building a temporary brick enclosure (including bottom). I am probably not going to stay for the entire day, but if you will bring it back with you, I can meet you to pick it up sometime (no rush, I'll be in Ventura next weekend). There is no way you can transport it in a car after using it though, you'd need a pickup. Let me know. On your idea for portable grills, let me know, if we're only talking $20-30, I'll grab one.

OldmanandtheC:
Christian, I have an insert for a built-in, but it would require building a temporary brick enclosure (including bottom). I am probably not going to stay for the entire day, but if you will bring it back with you, I can meet you to pick it up sometime (no rush, I'll be in Ventura next weekend). There is no way you can transport it in a car after using it though, you'd need a pickup. Let me know. On your idea for portable grills, let me know, if we're only talking $20-30, I'll grab one.
While I certainly appreciate the offer, I think the insert for a built in would be more trouble than it's worth by the time you got done hauling around bricks for building an enclosure. Also, I do not have a truck and although I'm known to use my car as if it were a truck, the thought of a greasy mess on the leather interior of my Maxima makes me think that this would probably not be a good idea. :11:

I'm thinking about some really cheap disposable "grills" that I think I've seen at the market. I think they come with charcoal already in them.

Otherwise, I was looking at something like this for $22 at Home Depot.

I have not actually seen one of these up close and personal, but it seems like it would do the trick, especially if we used propane instead of charcoal. I have a 20lb propane bottle that I've got adapters on for using my Coleman campstove and lanterns that could be hooked up if it uses a standard small screw on propane bottle.

I know that some people are checking in their garages as I type this, so lets see if someone can come up with a good solution without having to go out and buy something brand new.

Thanks.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom