Wrinkles August '06 Dive Planning Thread - Redondo Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll keep trying as well. Count me in for Leo or Vets. I'll bring the usual, EZ-up, Condiments and the B-Far special, this time I do plan to dive a little. What about hanging out in the parking lot for the day if we can't get a site? I'm sure if some of us can get there at 7, we can secure a whole section.

Billy

I haven't had any luck at http://www.reserveamerica.com/ for making reservations at Leo Carrillo due to any cancellations.

I think that if we have not had success by this Friday, July 21st that we should switch our dates between the August L.A. County Dive and the December L.A. County Dive.

So if we switch them, it will be Redondo Beach 3 weeks from this Saturday and we'll have our campout weekend at Leo Carrillo in December like we've done for the last couple of years with great success.

This keeps us from changing any of our overall locations that some out-of-town people are planning on.

What do you all think?

Christian

Does reserveamerica show open slots for December? I don't have time right now to drill through their user-not-so-friendly web page. Up the coast another 10 or so miles in Ventura county is another campground called Big Sycamore Canyon.

This is a great campsite, but I don't think the diving here is so good. If we do switch this with Redondo, I'd probably make my reservations for Sycamore and drive down to dive with y'all.

undrwater:
Does reserveamerica show open slots for December?
They show open slots for December. It's usually pretty easy to do this last minute in December since it's not exactly high season for camping. We've done that for the last couple of years with great success.

Christian

OK, since nothing opened up at Leo Carrillo, we'll switch this to a single day of diving at Vet's Park at Redondo for August and make Leo Carrillo the spot for a camping weekend in December.

Although the timing sounds strange for camping, we've had absolutely gorgeous weather for the last 2 years at Leo Carrillo in December. Let's hope that this luck continues for one more year!

I'll change the text in the first post of this thread to reflect the change.

Christian

Darn! I can finally make it to the gathering, and now...it's at Redondo? Ugh...conditions have been very marginal there lately with a bit of surf. Anyone planning on doing a night dive? That is the best time to dive Redondo if you want to see anything.

Not to throw a wrench into the mix, how about Malaga Cove? There is park area right above the site. Just a suggestion.

Diver_Jan:
Darn! I can finally make it to the gathering, and now...it's at Redondo? Ugh...conditions have been very marginal there lately with a bit of surf. Anyone planning on doing a night dive? That is the best time to dive Redondo if you want to see anything.

Not to throw a wrench into the mix, how about Malaga Cove? There is park area right above the site. Just a suggestion.

As a guy who dives there three times a week, we've been seeing the finest conditions at Vets in MONTHS. With the exception of 2 Saturdays ago when it was Hawaii Five-Oh, its been amazing. Surprising. Eyepopping.

Warm and clear with walk-in and walk-out conditions.

Its been great. Wed was excellent. Thursday was even better.

Unless it turned on Saturday or Sunday or this morning... I mean, anything is possible. But I've been stunned at how excellent its been at Vets.

In contrast, Malaga was a green out on Saturday, and OML was perfect. And we had OML virtually to ourselves on Sat AM.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Wed was excellent.

Odd, for my friends that dove there Wed night said that conditions were quite poor. Viz being 6-10' at best. Same for Sunday morning, although surf was down.

Mo2vation:
Unless it turned on Saturday or Sunday or this morning... I mean, anything is possible. But I've been stunned at how excellent its been at Vets.

In contrast, Malaga was a green out on Saturday, and OML was perfect. And we had OML virtually to ourselves on Sat AM.

I so want to dive OML. It's been several months since I've been there. Would go there in a heart beat!!! Cha Cha cha!

:14:

Back
Top Bottom