Wrinkles October '05 Dive and BBQ planning thread - Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm soo excited, hopefully I will get to do this dive this time. Been there twice and never dove. No red tide, and no winter conditions please. I know I'm a PHD, but geezuz.

Christian,

I have to work in the morning but I should be there about 3. Hope everyone will still be
up for a couple more dives then!!

Thomas

I tell you what, I would give just about anything to be able to pick up, come back to cali, and attend the wrinkles dive this weekend.... Its still in the 100's here, and I havent had a day off to go dive yet... I hope you guys have great conditions and a fun fun time....

It's been a LONG time since I've been able to attend one of these. Myrna and I would love to join you folks, but my last 4 weekends have been booked with ADP, and this is my first weekend off. And it's a 3-dayer (Monday off) !!!! So I'm gonna sleep late. :D And maybe some breakfast in bed. :D

Oh, and I need to clean the pool, cause there's stuff growing in there :11: And I guess I should study for my finals :frown11: And wash the car :frown11:

On second thought....

We may be able to come... we are driving home from DEMA Friday night and it depends on how tired we are! I did not RSVP yet, so don't worry about including us in the food count. If we can show up, we will bring something to share :)

Jennifer

Dr. Bill, Please come!!

We may have a problem!

Friday the 7th into the weekend, we have a combo of noteworthy southern hemi SW, and some NW swell from the Aleutian Chain region. The SW will hit first on Friday, and the NW on Saturday. The SW is from a significant development in the southern hemisphere we’ve been monitoring over the past couple of weeks that peaked near New Zealand, making for an ideal angle of about 210 degrees. The fetch from this system had seas reaching near 40 feet, and its trajectory was favorable angled towards California with little loss from angular spreading decay. This boils down to size running head high to 2 feet overhead at most south facing breaks when this system peaks on Saturday the 8th. For Friday, size should be around chest high + for the dawn patrol as this swell starts to fill in, then build to near head high during the morning into early afternoon.

Note that this swell has some long, 16-18 second periods, so there will be variation in size between south facing breaks depending on the bathymetry of each surf spot, and its corresponding shoaling and refraction properties. The slower reefs may only see size chest to shoulder high when this swell peaks while the racier, punchier spots see the overhead set waves.

PHD's!

I'm not saying there's a Heisler Park curse or anything...

But there is.

When's the last time we had good dive conditions for our get togethers there? Anyone remember?

mccabejc:
I'm not saying there's a Heisler Park curse or anything...

But there is.

When's the last time we had good dive conditions for our get togethers there? Anyone remember?

I think it was in December of last year. Remember it rained really hard the night before. Some of the PHD's went in for an early morning dive while the rest of us went for breakfast. If I remember correctly, the rest of the day was good, cold but good.

I am hoping to be able to make this one. I have promised to spend some time with my Mom on Saturday, but may see her on Friday instead. If I can make it, maybe I'll try out my new drysuit!! Don't put me on the list, but I'll do what I can to try and be there.

mccabejc:

Last month's Wrinkles in La Jolla had some great conditions- low surf, pretty decent vis, nice overcast day to keep us cool.. From the morning dives to the night dive, the conditions stayed really nice :)

I really hope conditions are good for Saturday! Simon is sick but he could be better in time for the dive! I'll try to make it if possible!!! Maybe I'll visit some OC relatives and drop by!! I'll post Friday and let you know if I'll be there!

Sean

Back
Top Bottom