Wrist Computer: Integrated AIR or separate SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a smart Z from uwatec with wireless AI. I also have a analog SPG because I can. The sac rate is computed with the uwatec software.
The only time I have ever had a problem with the transmitter is when I'm shooting pictures. The strobes frequency screws up the transmission. The quick fix is to turn off the strobe when not in use and the computer sync's right back up.

Wrist mount wireless AI- A good way to lose a VERY expensive piece of gear. Right now, I use a cheap wrist mount, but I'm gonna get a console mounted comp. Then the wrist mount goes in the BCpocket as a backup

DWJ:
The only time I have ever had a problem with the transmitter is when I'm shooting pictures. The strobes frequency screws up the transmission. The quick fix is to turn off the strobe when not in use and the computer sync's right back up.

I'm sure this does happen.

I have to say that ever since I started diving almost I've been on hoseless AI Uwatecs. I have also had a camera in my hand or in close proximity in virtually every dive over the past 6+ years. I have not ever noticed a problem like this from my strobes or anyone elses. Can't remember the last time I turned a strobe off underwater.

Clearly YMMV

I have an AirZ Nitrox (wireless AI), and an SPG. I had the SPG before I had the computer and kept it as backup, along with the depth gauge in the same console. I have had problems with the computer losing the signal occasionally, but it soon re-establishes the link. The battery in the transmitter failed last year, two days into a trip to the Red Sea - I was glad that I had kept my SPG and depth gauge as backups.
It's never lost a signal since replacing the transmitter, so maybe the earlier problems were an indication of a failing battery?

I often use a camera and have never experienced problems with the strobe disrupting the wireless link.

I have been diving a hoseless AI for over 6 years and have never lost a link while under water. I used it this past week while taking flash photography and did not think twice about link problems.

DWJ:
I have a smart Z from uwatec with wireless AI. I also have a analog SPG because I can. The sac rate is computed with the uwatec software.
I dive wireless AI with my Smart TEC. Love it. Love that the software tracks my air usage and calcs my SAC. Any sync problems are exceedingly rare and transitory... it air connection, blinks out, then blinks right back. I don't consider a 1 second blip once every 30 dives or so to be a problem worth losing sleep over.

That said, I added an analog SPG clipped off to my left hip last week. *shrug* It's there if I need it, but I doubt I ever will. I had the money, it was on sale, and the redundancy appealed to me.

Dove with my new strobe (D2000) for the first time last night. Not a single sync problem (as usual). I suspect DWJ's problems might be an unlucky combination of his particular strobe's frequency and his particular computer's broadcast frequency, because it seems to be rare (but it does happen).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom