Wrist mount or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My rig:

Main Genesis Nitrox console on left bungee.

Backup Nitrox Vyper on right wrist.

Backup Timex Helix watch timer and dept guage on left wrist.

satisfy both world :), wrist and console, multiple backups.

Wristmount my friend...........checkout the new Oceanic, Suunto's are also good.

grahamsp:
Even if you do no decompression diving at all, mounting your computer on the right wrist is my strong recommendation. Easier to look at, which you do constantly on ascent and on safety stops whilst leaving the left hand free to dump/add air from/into the BCD.

This is what works for me. I put my compass on my left wrist since I only need to check my heading every now and again. Spg is clipped off to left D-Ring. When ascending I'm constantly looking at my computer on my right wrist while dumping air with my left hand.

I have always used a wrist mounted computer. Currently I use a VR3 for most of my deep diving, but also have a Diverite HE, Cochran Commander, an old Aladin Pro Nitrox and a Diverite C dive computer watch.

I wear my main computer on my left wrist and backup computer on my right, do not carry a compass, dont need one.

Nothing but a small pressure gauge on my HP hose.

I used an oceanic concole as my first Comp. I got rid of that and got the Atmos Elite hoseless computer. i don't think i will ever get a concole again it is so much easier to dive with the computer were u can still hold the line and adjust your bouyancy and look at your computer at the same time try that with a console and u may need a third arm. . .

just my .02

John

Having recently gone from analog to computer diving, I was faced with the same problem. I first console-mounted my Genesis ReAct but quickly found that I missed my analog gauge for fine tuning my accent rate (OK, I like dials).

Thus, the analog went back into the console. Now I'm finding that it's easiler to look down at my wrist to read the computer than to locate the console. I generally know where my hands are, so finding the computer is much easier than reaching for the console.

I also like to have the computer separate from the rest of my gear so that during the SI, I can dump all the gear under a shade tree and still have the wrist-mounted computer on me for quick reference.

In addition to still diving with the analog, I'm using a Timex Helix as a backup for depth and bottom timer. The aspect of not having a bottom timer on the ReAct is odd to me. Or am I missing something?

Ron

Computer on right wrist.
Only small spg on the hi pressure hose, i don't look at it very often so i just tuck it away in the BC.

I find looking at the wrist computer much easier whilst carrying a camera. Too much of a pain to reach down and find the console all the time...

It is easy to say that we need a back up gauge to save my AXX. But, if we eventually need a console gauge with wrist mounted computer, why do we pay the high price for a wrist computer? Many people are diving only with a console without a wrist computer. So, it means that the wrist mounted computer is not reliable?

I am also looking for the high end computer, either Smart TEC wrist or Suunto D9. The main reason is less bulky equipment and possible deep dive for a scientific research.
If I definitely need a consol again, there is no reason to have a wrist mounted computer to me.

It is only my 2c question.

Safe dive!

hoosier:
It is easy to say that we need a back up gauge to save my AXX. But, if we eventually need a console gauge with wrist mounted computer, why do we pay the high price for a wrist computer? Many people are diving only with a console without a wrist computer. So, it means that the wrist mounted computer is not reliable?

I am also looking for the high end computer, either Smart TEC wrist or Suunto D9. The main reason is less bulky equipment and possible deep dive for a scientific research.
If I definitely need a consol again, there is no reason to have a wrist mounted computer to me.

It is only my 2c question.

Safe dive!

I personally like the console. Most of the divers I have dove with that had wrist mounted computers also had the standard consoles for air and depth anyways. At the very least air and a compass. Keep in mind this is just my personal preference and experience. I use a Suunto Cobra, air-integrated computer. I dove a wreck in cozumel. To keep my console from getting hung up, I simply used the chest snaps on my BC. I snapped in the console under the chest snap, no more flailing around, and I was able to view it without any problems.

Everybody is right though, it really comes down to personal preference.

I have both.. AI console and wrist mount. (and depth timer)

To the people who mount their computer on their right wrist.. what do you do when you are ascending on a reel/smb? You have to hold the reel in your left hand and turn the reel with your right. You can't see the computer on your right hand if you do this.

Most people over here wear their computer on their left wrist because of this.. You can hold the reel and reel up while looking at the computer. If you need to adjust buoyancy, you have to swap hands.. but it gets easier once you have practiced it a few times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom